1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why play a 7-string bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jornan, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Jornan

Jornan

Jun 30, 2008
    Norway
    Hi.
    I started playing a four-string bass, but after a while, I bought a five-string bass, and now I got a six-string. Anyway, I would never go back to a four-string again, 'cause I love the fifth string. I also find the sixth string useful, but it's not as important as the fifth string. Therefore, I wonder if there's any reason to get a seven-string, or is the six I got enough? Of course, it depends on what you play and so on, but those of you playing seven-strings, do you feel like "oh, I would never play anything with less than seven strings" or is it more like "it's ok to have an extra string, but it's not very useful"?

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I don't find myself using my High F. But there's just the feeling of playing 2 octave scales in one position that feels great.

I'm learning more through my teacher here, how to utilize the high F.

the 7 is also GREAT for soloing, and chordal work.

As far as NEVER going back to a 4, I love my 4 strings! I have a p-bass and a fretless, and nothing sounds as good as them :) :hyper::hyper:

3. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    It all depends how you tune the 7 str bass (F#-C or B-F). And there are useful applications for both tunings. It all depends on the individual playing the bass

4. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    You said it all right here..

Neither of those for me... I have two 5s, a 7 and an 8 string (single course).. I use them all. Each one is different and has its own personality... I have songs that I've recorded that I need a 7 string to play (as recorded).. So, for me I have the extra string and it's very useful..

5. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I have been using a 7 (B-F) as my primary bass for almost 3 years and it's difficult to go back. I also play a fretess 6 regularly, occasionally a 5 and very rarely, a 4. I recently began working with an 8 string (single course F#-F) but I'm not yet convinced that the additional string is warranted for what I do .... jury is still out whether I'll continue with the 8.

There is so much flexibility in the 7 that it's a bit difficult to image playing a lesser string count for most of what I do (looping and chording within a live band setting). It really depends on what you intend to use it for .... as anyone who regularly plays 7+ strings will tell you, it's a much different mindset than even a 6 string. Almost everything changes in terms of your technique, patterns, hand positioning, muting, etc.

Lots of players get 'em cause they think they look cool .... that's pretty much a guarantee that they'll be selling them off after a short time. If, after owning/playing a 7+ string bass for a few weeks, you don't find that your entire approach requires adjustment, you likely don't need it (IMO, of course) ... :D