Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

why play a single cut bass??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paz, Jun 2, 2005.

1. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    i just dont get it, they look horrible imo and how can u play higher up on the neck comfortably, sorry it just bugs me, i just wanna see what the other tbers thought

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Well, one thing's for certain - it has nothing to do with Technique. Moved to basses.

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Paz,
    Do a quick search on this topic...it has been discussed at length several times before. You'll get a full spectrum of answers to your questions there. But....in short, the bottom line is that the single cutaway design does not hinder upper fret access for a lot of players, and those who do own SC basses probably like the design as much (if not more) than you dislike it. That's why basses come in different colors and are made out of different types of woods. :smug: Different people prefer different things. ;)

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    1. They look beautiful to me-and to many, many others. Both my basses are singlecuts, and my future ones will be as well. I find a well-designed singlecut (like the Benaventes and Elricks) to be a far superior aesthetic design than the best double cut designs.
    2. The single cut is on the upper bout of the bass, not the lower one-it does not hinder comfortable playing higher up the neck at all. The only way it would is if you wrap your thumb around the top of the neck in the higher positions, which would be a big technique problem.

5. I figured my bass has a 'single' cut because the builder got in a hurry & forgot the other. :rollno: I never said anything about it cause he's such a nice guy, & I figure the next one can be a triplecut.

:bag:

6. Im not a bit fan of single cuts, but each to thier own, i dont see how it would hinder higher frets, why would any part of your hadn be at that part anyway ?? I dont see any way it would hinder playing

7. thlayli

thlayli

May 8, 2005
    Cross Lanes, WV
    Maybe he plays overhand like Jeff Healey?

8. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Because not everyone likes vanilla ice cream... That's why we have chocolate, and strawberry, and mint chocolate chip, and butter pecan, and...

SpanishDave likes this.
  9. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    To show off more wood? To have a little more variety and choice in instrument designs?
    Have you ever seen a good SC in person? Have you ever played one? When I first saw pictures of single cuts, I thought they were too odd looking for me. It wasn't until I saw a few in person and played them that the design began to grow on me. Now I find many of the SC designs out there to be very appealing. I get tired of going in stores and seeing the attack of the J clones.

10. Bassius

Bassius

Nov 6, 2001
    usa
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar amps
    chocolate-chip-cookie dough!!

11. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    I think they're more stable & sound better...

$0.02
    ~S~

12. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    WURD!!!!

13. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    And chopped up 8 string stambaugh flavored ;). Yumm.
    (that thing rules)

14. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Nordstrand. enough said.

maybe i will own one in my lifetime :rolleyes:

15. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    Tolerance = peace and peace = paz and you are suppose to be paz. ;)

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Why play a single cut bass? BECAUSE I CAN!!!:D:cool::bassist::hyper:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. [​IMG]

My Benavente SC5-B. The neck-body stability and sustain of is great, the balance is near perfect both standing up and sitting down. And IMHO the Benavente 'B-type' SingleCut is amongst the most beautiful body shapes ever designed. So let's agree to disagree, OK?

18. CJK84

CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    For some reason, I cannot get used to the single cut design. It looks abnormal to me - like a defect that should be fixed.

However, I realize that this is merely a prejudice formed from my experience of seeing guitars and basses with the traditional Fender design for nearly four decades.

I'm guessing that as I see more single cutaways the look will grow on me and seem more ordinary.

One concern: Does the "attached" upper wing limit the amount of relief movement you can get on the neck?

19. I love single cuts and to my eye JP, Beneventes and Norstrands are amongst the best. That is a very IMO as I know others make fantastic instruments as well.

I also like the look of Gibson Les Pauls and Fender Tele's so I suppose I just like single cuts.

Matthew

20. I bought my first single cut a couple of months ago (a Stambaugh from LAG). Chris Stambaugh has an interesting comment regarding single cuts on his website... basically saying that it doesn't really affect the sound (except for adding mass, which you can do in other ways), and actually could cause problems down the road, since the 'bass' part of the neck is held solidly in place and the 'treble' part of the neck is allowed to move. I actually bought the Stambaugh due to it's Pope preamp/Aero combination, and didn't really know what I would think about the single cut. It did feel a little funny above the 12th fret for a while (although I rarely go there anyway!), but after a few gigs, I didn't really even notice it anymore.

So, all in all, if you like the look of it, go for it... however, there's not really any sonic advantages and there could be some negatives regarding 'neck twisting', etc.