1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why play bass, follow up.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bass theory, Nov 27, 2020.

1. bass theory

bass theory

Oct 7, 2020
    Portage WI
    My Son brought his family to thanksgiving. Everyone was tested for covid-19 and had been quarentined, so it was safe. My eight year old granddaughter discovered my baritone guitar for the first time, and started to play around with it. she couldn't put it down. I swear that if it were possible she would have slept with it. I could see the light in her eyes, and was reminded me of some of the stories here about how many of you just knew when you saw your first bass.
    She didn't like the short scale bass, she didn't like the acoustic guitar of my wife's, but that strat knockoff baritone sang to her soul. It wasn't that it was a baritone, I could see that. and she quite naturally took to strumming it like a std guitar. She played with different stroke patters, and tried to play the few chords i could teach her, it was the intricacies of it, everything about the guitar struck her.
    I offered to my son to make her a guitar, but then it hit me, just a guitar wouldn't do. It had to be that guitar. Today i am converting that same guitar she fell in love with, by changing the neck and strings, and setting it up as a 25" strat for a beginner. On her birthday on March 6th that will become her guitar.
    Who knows if it will ever lead anywhere, But i hope and pray that this home made guitar can be for my granddaughter what the first bass was for some of you in your stories. It is truely awesome to see it happen in front of me.

I want to thank each of you who posted a story about what drew you to bass. Without the awareness that came from reading those stories, I might have missed what was happening. You may have just helped inspire a new musician, or maybe not, but we can hope and dream.

Cernnunos, slapshot, Avigdor and 38 others like this.
  2. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    It’s early and I am on my 1st cup of coffee but why not just give her the baritone as is?

3. bass theory

bass theory

Oct 7, 2020
    Portage WI
    She is eight and cannot reach the first fret as a baritone, that 2 inches shorter scale length will give her enough reach to play it. Also, there is very little written for baritone directly, and she doesn't have the music theory down enough to transpose.
    I plan to keep the neck in a safe place so that if she ever decides that she really wants the baritone, it will only take a few hours to convert it back.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  4. Sponson Thrisby

Sponson Thrisby

Feb 15, 2019
    Good for you! It's important to encourage kids at that age when they find something they love. Maybe she'll stick with it, maybe not - but give her the chance. Maybe a few lessons too. Help her to understand what can happen if she puts the work into it.

Without going into a sob story, I had the opposite experience when I was a kid, and I'm still bitter about it.

jetsaber likes this.
  5. bass theory

bass theory

Oct 7, 2020
    Portage WI
    Thank you for the support. My son already promised to get her lessons. He even knows who he is going to ask. I am sad to hear that you were discouraged. I have had a successful career as a physicist and engineer, but I think the overall quality of my life would be indescribably diminished without my music.

lfmn16, Splash7, JRA and 1 other person like this.
  6. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    That’s a great plan. My mom always supported my bass playing. It’s so important to have someone who sees your ability and gives you encouragement.

31HZ likes this.
  7. bass theory

bass theory

Oct 7, 2020
    Portage WI
    Exactly! Actually, she was going to play on my drums when she saw my bass sitting next to them. She didn't even bother with the drums after seeing the baritone. That shocked me. She always wanted to play my drums. She completely forgot about them. That makes me think that she had one of those love at first sight moments.

8. your granddaughter will be so stoked on her birthday very cool! Cheers:thumbsup:

Davbassdude and FunkHead like this.
  9. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    Now, about what amp to get her ...

:whistle:

Eli_Kyiv and Logic_11 like this.
  10. bass theory

bass theory

Oct 7, 2020
    Portage WI
    oh did i forget to mention, I am including a 25Watt Fender Rumble. any more than that and my son might disown me. Besides that is what i have available. lol

11. bass theory

bass theory

Oct 7, 2020
    Portage WI
    I just finished the conversion. The setup is going to take some major adjustments, especially at the bridge. But the Guitar is awesome. She is going to love this instrument. when I am finished, maybe I'll post a picture of the finished product.

Davbassdude and Crunchy Growl like this.
  12. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    This is awesome! Post pics.

13. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    Very cool! What a great granddad!

I fell in love with the bass after listening to early Black Sabbath and (even though it will make me the target of other's derision) KISS. I begged my folks for a bass, something cheap and crappy to start, but they were totally not into it, even though my mom was and is quite musical. I think they thought I wasn't serious about it. Enter the spoiling godfather who picked me up a super-cheap Precision knock-off and an amp with a 6" speaker (that I blew after a couple of days). From that moment, I have been playing non-stop for almost 40 years and absolutely loved and love every moment of it.

Fast-forward 20-odd years to my older daughter's 10th(?) Christmas when I bought her a beginner's guitar kit that she had been dropping hints about. Micro-strat copy, 15ish watt amp, easy to learn CD and the offer of guitar lessons. She played it for a while. Learned Smoke on the Water and a few other iconic riffs, plus some of the stuff she liked to listen to then realized it wasn't for her.

No regrets. Glad she gave it a go. I think the allure of the glossy red guit was what really got her. Not playing like EVH.

Good on ya!

14. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    Obviously, you stuck with it, which is a testament to your love of playing despite that negative experience.

15. bass theory

bass theory

Oct 7, 2020
    Portage WI
    Well it is finished. Ran out of adjustment, had to move the entire bridge 1/4" to get the intonation right. Not easy when a through the body bridge has already been setup for months. But in the end it is worth it.
    20201127_142748.jpg

16. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    When I started in music, my parents bought me a really nice violin. The the neighbors gave me their “grampa’s old violin”. It was a fantastic instrument.

I’ve donated a bunch of good musical instruments to young musicians. Those of us that get to a point in life where we can help young folks get started in music should. To me it just makes sense to pay it back (and pay it forward) - I’ve had over half of century of enjoyment from music; it’s made my life much fuller.

Eli_Kyiv and bass theory like this.
  17. joelns

joelns

Mar 10, 2014
    My parents always encouraged me to play an instrument. In grade school I tried clarinet, sax, trumpet, but none of them for long. The jr high school had a short scale bass of some sort and I tried that. This time it stuck and I started out in the orchestra, then jazz band, and bluegrass. In high school, the band leader let me borrow a double bass. Numerous garage bands and then I joined an event band that was getting started. That band was very successful and was still going strong before Covid hit, 30 years after I left it.

I think my first bass was some crappy P-bass knock off. I replaced that a few years later with a new G&L El Toro, which I still have.

My daughter accosted me after work one Friday night over a year ago with a request to learn to play drums. We've been encouraging that. We even had a short jam earlier today. She's coming along well. She's got a nice used mid-80s vintage Ludwig rocker kit. It's now a 5 piece kit with high hat, 2 crash cymbals, and a ride. It sounds BIG. I was also owned by an influential mid-60's era drummer whose daughter had it in her shed. She's given it to us on long term loan as "her dad would have wanted it to be played". I'm not going to name names as my friend would like that to stay private. Here's a picture before the 2nd tom and crash were added.

Attached Files:

bass theory and Eli_Kyiv like this.
  18. Horseflesh

Horseflesh

Sep 22, 2020
    Seattle-ish
    That's pretty cool.

When I was about that age my mom got me an acoustic guitar and classes. I don't even remember me asking for it--I am not sure how it happened. It was probably her idea, though I remember being open to it.

But it didn't take, not at all. I remember nothing but boring (and difficult) exercises. If I was a smarter kid, if I knew what to ask for to keep myself interested--you know, like playing a few notes of recognizable music--I probably could have found the motivation to stick with it. But I had a lesson a week and exercises in between and no internet, and I couldn't even ask my parents for help since they didn't know anything about music at all. Your granddaughter is lucky to have you!

31HZ and bass theory like this.
  19. mcclurer16

mcclurer16 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Chapel Hill, NC
    That is a very cool story and one I will remember when I have grandchildren. I started one of my sons on ukulele. He ended up playing clarinet (like I did in high school) and loved it so much he ended up playing in his college marching band.

Thanks all for the stories!

Eli_Kyiv likes this.
  20. zie

zie Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Start them young and they'll be really good at it especially for the development of their ears. I read some where, don't know if its true, that James Jamerson could tell the music note of squeaking door. There could be some truth to that since it mentioned that he grew up with his grandmother who played Piano so he learned Piano and even played it Publicly. So any sort of instrument your child pickups, get them interested and encourage them. Switching from one instrument to another is easy if you are already player; its even easier if your ears are great.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 25, 2021