Why Play Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by some other guy, May 3, 2005.

1. some other guy

some other guy

May 2, 2005
    Talking to my guitarist friend the other day about basses. This is what he said:

"Bass is a bit boring, init?"

That is a whole load of turd, we all know on these forums that the bass a fun and exciting instrument.

Remember the first time you played a bass. Why did you decide to learn it?

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I play because it " Makes me Giggle on the inside" :D :bassist:
  3. This should be in Misc or Off Topic.
  4. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Ask your friend how he would enjoy playing in a band without a bassist. Then ask him how many gigs he thinks he could get without a bassist.

Most guitar players just don't understand what being a bassist is all about. You'll find that keyboard players have a much better idea about what it means to lay down the groove and drive the band home.
  5. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i love playing bass. its what i do.

though, i do also play guitar in a band, im just not as good.

what is more fun to play? well it depends on the music you are playing.....
  6. + 1
  7. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    i love the bass sound since i have 6 years,not kidding,i born for this instrument and i love paly my bass,i no need a stupid guitarrist tell me how boring my bass is,ever instrument is a art of work. :scowl: not blame you guitarrist ok,remember,musicians respect others musicians and his instruments. :bassist:
  8. how many times must we have this thread do a search people
  9. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    One time for every newbie member that doesn't even know which forum to post this in. :rolleyes:
  10. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I am and have always been a bass player. I can play guitar, drums, keys and just about everything else, but I am a BASS PLAYER. It is what I love. Not boring in the slightest. Depending on your style of music and how good your guitarist are, bass can be very challanging. I have 3 guitar players and 3 drummers and I bridge the gap. What a rush!!! :bassist:
  11. The two songs that made me decide to play bass of guitar or keyboard or any other instrument, were Limp Bizkit - Rearranged and Green Day - Longview, I thought the bass just sounded so much cooler then anything a guitar could produce. -(and boy have I found much more interesting bass lines since then, when i found out the main high notes on jerry was a racecar driver was a bass I was like ***! I thought that was a keyboard lol) Also when i was younger my dad told me to stop turning the bass up over teh treble on the car stereo, if you only needed bass the band would be a bunch of bass players, im like "bass player?" after that i was always tryin to figure out what instrument was a guitar or bass when watchign music videos hehe. Also I'm pretty sure its a genetic thing, according to family folk lore the my only other know relative with acute musical talent was my great-grandfather who played TUBA for John Philip Sousa, hmm a BASS instrument what a coincidence!
  12. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I started playing bass in 1987. Why? Two words: Geddy Lee.

'nuf said.
  13. That's right b**yotch!!!!
  14. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    I play the bass because nobody else around me has the brains to do so. ;)

Actually, I play the bass simply because I like the way it sounds. I also like the fact that (in most cases) there's only one bass player in a band--no "spotlight" wars, and no arguing over who gets what solo, etc.
  15. since everyone else is

I play bass because it called me to do so
  16. Because somebody has to hold the steering wheel while clueless guitarists play boring 15-minute solos.
  17. ale145

Apr 5, 2005
    I've ever loved bass sound. When I was a kid always like to "sing" the bass part of a song that I liked rather than the vocal part...later when I started to hear music more seriously I realised that kind of guitar with four strings is the one that produced that low frequencies that I always loved!! :)

Regards from Argentina!!
  18. I grew up in grade school playing the low brass, so starting in 5th grade I learned that the most important part of the sound pyramid is the bass. I fell in love with it, and when I started listening to bands and wanted to form of my own, the bass was the only thing I knew, or wanted to know for that matter. We were meant for each other, a real match made in Heaven.
  19. Why play bass?

Why post in the correct forum?

I play because I am a rebel