why power amps are 2x***W like 2x300W?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hervetlse, Feb 12, 2002.

1. hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    I know that most of power amps can be bridged to make the double of power in mono but i wonder if there is a possibility to plug my bass in a sans amp BDDI and in the power amp with others instruments like drum or guitar or vocals and have an output in the power amp to go with a monitor but with only the sound of the bass. For example, if i had a power amp with 2x300w, is it possible to separate the two 300w, one 300w for the bass with a monitor out and the other 300w for all or for the rest of the instruments with one or two cabinets? Many of you, talk about the carvin power amps and i try to find a solution not to have to buy a combo with the power amp but i wonder how can i have the sound of the bass in a monitor and separate it from the rest of the instruments plugged into the power amp. Excuse my english cause i'm french and the question isn't usual i suppose.;)
  2. arfur

Nov 26, 2001
    London, UK
    Sounds like you need a mixer (I think. That was awfully confusing!)
  3. EdenSmith

EdenSmith Guest

Sure you can do that. I have a Crest power amp that I use along with the Eden Navigator preamp. On smaller stages where I only need one bass cab, I will plug a monitor send from the main mixing console directly into one channel of my power amp and use that channel to drive my monitor with vocals and a little bit of guitar coming thru it. The other channel of the Crest drives my 4x10. Hope this helps...:)
  4. EdenSmith

EdenSmith Guest

I should have said, sure you can do that IF your band has a mixing console with an extra monitor send available.:rolleyes:
  5. hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    EdenSmith, thank you very much i've learned something important. I have another question. Do you know the yamaha EMX-640, it's a power amp 2x300w and in the same box, it's also a mixer with 7 inputs. Do you think that it's possible to do the same kind of things that you do with your rig? The last one. In the carvin dcm1000 there's two inputs as you told me and there is 2 outputs per channel. In our case there is 2 outputs to plug in two cabinets the 410xlt and the 210xlt with the sound of the bass, for example. And there's is 2 ouputs for the second channel. I imagine that these two outputs can be use to plug two more cabinets for the audience to hear the band. The question is : will these two cabinets hold the same signal or is it possible to manage a kind of stereo?
  6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

If you look at the back of the amp, you see the two inputs, and the output section. If you wanted to use half to drive your bass and half to drive the rest of the band, you would plug your preamp into input 1 and your bass cabs into the two lower channel one outputs.

Your powered mixer should have a line out or preamp out 1/4" output. Use a cable to patch from the Yamaha's lineout to input 2 of the Carvin. Use the two outputs of channel 2 on the Carvin to run to the speakers that you want to carry the rest of the band.

You are basically using it like two seperate mono power amps. Both channels will output mono signals. There is no way to run the vocals, etc. in stereo with this setup.

Lastly, DO NOT attempt to plug into both the bridge output and the stereo (duel mono) outputs. If you are using the bottom sets of outputs, you can't plug into the bridged section without damaging the amp.
  7. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    The two channels of a power amp are completely independent (unless you bridge them). You can run whatever you want through either side, as long as you have a line level signal going in.

But the multiple speaker outputs on one channel will carry the same signal. You can't get 4 different sounds out of a 2-channel amp.
  8. EdenSmith

EdenSmith Guest

Chasarms and chucko58 are absolutely right. You can't get any kind of stereo with just one channel of an amplifier. The second "input" (output, actually) on each channel is simply to send signal via a patch cable to another amplifier-- commonly called "daisy chaining". Your best bet with what you have is to put your two bass cabs on one channel of the Carvin and the vocal monitors on the other channel. Use the two power amps in the Yamaha to power your main (front of house -FOH) speakers. Good luck...:)