Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why preamp a peavey firebass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by firebass 1, Jan 9, 2006.

1. firebass 1

firebass 1

Dec 16, 2005
    I've tryed over and over using differant preamps and effects and just cant get any tone thats better than just my shectar elite. (which has live eletronics but not pickups) Any of you pro's out there that dont use any preamp also? I really like the tone I get with my art pedal but as soon as I start cranking the volume it seem to mud up... Anyway I always seem to unplug all the crap and just use my Guitar and amp..

2. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    IIRC, Peavey Firebass is a head, not just a power amp. Therefore it has a preamp section to color your tone...so you don't need a preamp to run it.

3. firebass 1

firebass 1

Dec 16, 2005
    Is there a good thread out there on bass rig anatomy? I know I surely would of liked to read it a few years back.

Maybe something like this with pros and cons examples or maybe even photos. But not a list your amp type thing.

4 Basic Bass amp Configurations

1>Power Amp Bass Rig

2>Basic Production Bass Head Rig

3>Basic DI Bass

4>Combo Unit Bass amp

4. the firebass is closest to number 3: it has a preamp and power amp in one heavy box. the way you know it has a preamp in it is because it has tone controls (bass, mid, treble).

but my question is more that if you know your best tone is just your bass and your amp, why would you keep looking for other devices to add to it?

that said, i know some people like to use a sansamp bass driver DI (SABDDI) made by tech21nyc with the firebass. if you insist on using more, try using that.

robb.

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Start here for a technical overview: http://www.talkbass.com/ampfaq/

As far as pro and cons, do searches on each type, there are zillions of threads that address this. Start here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166225

6. The firebass has a preamp and a power amp in one unit, it also has a DI output

Whats the problem? I use a Sansamp BDDI preamp infront of my firebass when i use it because i like having the extra grit and overdrive