Why QSC?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scutterflux, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Is there any particular reason why this power amp seemes to be the favorite of many bassists? I mean why isn't there more raveing going on about carvin, peavey, crest or any others?

I'm thinking more juice and headroom is needed for my rig, and haven't really heard a whole lot other than QSC, QSC, QSC!
  2. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Probably because the PLX series offers a TON of power at a fraction of the weight and size that others need for the same specs. I have a PLX 3002. What other amp will give me 3000 W at only 21 pounds and require only 13 inches of rack depth in a 2 rack space unit??
  3. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That pretty much summs it up. There are other lightweight amps around. QSC took a good amp and made it lightweight. Others have got the lightweight part right but haven't refined the amp. And we can't afford a Camco.
  5. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Check out Stewart amps too. Lighter that QSC, powerful, sounds good and decent prices.
  6. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I second that!!
  7. Over the last ten years I have owned 5 QSC amps.
    No problem with any of them.

two USA 900w - sold for bigger amps
    one MX 2000a current no problems - heavy
    one Mx 3000a ditto
    one PLX2402 current - great amp - one little rattle at very loud volumes.

I hear lots good things about Stewarts and Crowns too. Many professionals use Crest too.

QSC is a great value. Cost and dependable.
    Good customer service too.
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

There are some differences between QSC and Stewart. With Stewart, output is 5-way post only whereas QSC offers the very useful Speakon. However the Stewart 1.6 and 2.1 are "dual monaural"... almost like having two separate amps which can be bridged if desired. For smaller gigs/rehearsal, I only power up one side of my 2.1 (yes, each channel has its own power switch). It's very much like carrying a backup amp: I could get through most gigs using just one side of the 2.1 if the other happened to fail.

I have no experience with Stewart customer support.

I'm sure I'd also be happy with a QSC PLX series amp.
  9. So QCS is a favorite mostly because of weight and cost. It's also a very nice sounding amp, and by that I mean it doesn't alter the sound very much. Is that about right?

Are there any power amps that tend to alter the sound, or are not as clean?

Are there any I should avoid?
  10. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yes, and they're reliable, too. And the weight advantage is only with the PLX series, the cheaper import RMX series has no weight advantage. As has been pointed out, Stewarts are lighter even than the PLX's.
  11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I use the PLX series.....but I still have a few QSC poweramps I got in the 80's.......very reliable!
  12. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I have a PLX 2402...prior to that, I had a Crown CE-1000. I made the change because the PLX is highly recommended, it's powerful, light and Bob Lee's presence in TalkBass shows that our needs will be well represented at QSC.

The added bonus (for me especially as I've worked there for 20+ years) is that it's UL Listed (rather than some other organization who is only interpreting UL's safety requirements).
  13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Precisely, Billy! No other maker has shown such an interest in our needs. Also, I had a big ol' Crest years ago and it weighed as much as one of my cabs and was always crying for new tubes.

Plus, places like Matt Pulcinella's website says a QSC will fracture peoples' sternums........that's what I'm talkin' about!!!!
  14. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    QSC should give Bob Lee a raise;)
  15. hmjuice

May 20, 2000
    Austin, TX USA
    I've used a PLX-2402 for the last 2 years and it's never had a problem:D . I don't even need the power anymore but the punch that it adds to my sound is very obvious compared to my old WT-800.

I had a chance to try a Stewart in a music store with a Demeter and it sound was really clean and smooth. But I didn't need a new amp so it stayed there. I would like to hear any responses on how the Stewart works in a large band situation. Ask your local dealer if they'll let you take it to rehearsal.

It's all in the groove.
  16. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Why do I own two QSC power amps? Great products at fair prices, good reliability and durability, and Bob Lee. :) It doesn't hurt that the company was started specifically to build power amps, and that Pat Quilter's innovative designs set the standard for the industry.

While I love Carvin's instruments, I'm not as impressed with their electronics. And their power amp specs are a little bit contorted. Case in point: power ratings where the distortion is specified as ".1% THD at 90% power". The way I read it, the rated power is delivered somewhere above the clipping point... no reputable power amp maker plays those games.

Peavey now owns Crest, IIRC. There's nothing wrong with either company's gear that I'm aware of. Likewise Crown and Mackie power amps are in lots of rigs, and I've never heard a bad word about them.
  17. I have two PLX 3002 and one 1202.

The weight is wonderful, compared to my 69 pound MX-3000a, and the reliability is the same so far (100%).

I have no experience with Stewart amps, but the lack of active cooling bothers me. Wattage = Heat, and heat is the enemy of electronic gear.
  18. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Both the 1.6 and the 2.1 have active cooling, just like the QSC's.
  19. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    QSC PLX.

Like it because it has headroom out the wazoo.

Love it beacuse it looks so effing cool.
  20. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Where are you Bob? We know you're watching! Aren't you gonna acknowledge your fans?

Every one wave to Bob! (Look I'm waving. Everybody wave with me) :)