Why Sadowsky? Obviously...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by albass111, Mar 17, 2006.

1. albass111

albass111 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Alright. We have officially saturated TalkBass with Sadowksy threads, but the poll makes me want to share a story from my gig tonight.

I played at a nightclub with a tiny stage. This was supposed to be a quiet cocktail type of gig with a line up of Sax, guitar, Piano, Bass and Cajon. All of the players, (except for me) are pretty heavy in the Jazz Fusion scene out here and have played with all of the greats. (Coluita, Marienthal, Weckl, Vail Johnson, Sanchez, too many to name)

Here was the nightmare: The stage is so small, that we had NO AMPS, NO MONITORS, and went straight into the PA. We heard only what came from the house speakers. I had a nice mellow bass tone going, with the pickup in the middle and no boost, and was pretty happy with how everything was sitting in the mix. We had some people sit in, and soon we got rockin' even though that's not what the gig vibe was supposed to be. There were over 150 people there. A singer called "To be Real", (no drums:eyebrow: ) and I immediately added some bass and treble, moved the pickup balance a little bit to the bridge, and slapped away. Direct into the PA! We finished the night pretty upbeat, with mroe disco, funk and some Latin, and the Sadowsky just killed it. A friend of mine who had just played the night before there, (same setup) told me that he couldn't get his Alembic to sing through the PA like my bass was. The booker made the same comment and he's also a musician. When that bass player sat in on my bass, he just handed it back to me and said "Wow!" Because the stage was so small, my bass sat 3 feet from the Piano player's head and said he could hear acoustically how great the bass was because of how he heard the resonance. This Keyboard player plays with everyone.. and I really mean everyone.

I honestly believe, that the Sadowsky is one of the few basses that could pull this off convincingly in this situation. I didn't bring any of my fenders for fear of the single coils buzzing, but given that I went striaght into the PA, I don't have any other basses (maybe my Lakland?) that would have allowed me to transition all of the styles so legitimately and easily. It is strange, but I really found out what this axe is made of in a stripped down kind of situation. I have been told that I have a good touch and attack, but at this gig, I can not stop praising the magic of Sadowsky. It is not just the electronics, pickups, it's the entire package.

If you have a bass that you think compares, please share your story. If you want to add to my Sadowsky gushing, also please feel free to.
  2. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    I have a number of very similar experiences, albass.

Yeah, and btw non-Sadowsky Talkbassers, we already know your Squier Bronco gets 80% of the tone at 1/20 of the price.
  3. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    I ran my Carvin LB75PF direct last weekend @ Bear Creek Baptist w/their orchestra. 1300 people in attendance @ it just absolutely killed. The sustain was to die for uncompressed & tone was awsome. I boosted the mids @ 200hz a little & tapped the neck HB w/the piezos off.
    I couldn't believe how much the bass was giving back as I finger picked her.
    I found that when playing w/an orchestra I had to play slightly flat compared to if I was playing w/an all guitar band.

I feel your love for the ax @ the gig.
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    it's comments like this one that get crap started in these threads. not everyone who doesn't own a sadowsky is limited to a squier. :eyebrow:

considering how many of these threads there are, i hardly see the need to be preemptively sarcastic. after all, there are probably more "i lovz0rz my sadowsky" threads here at tb than there are sadowsky owners registered here at the site. strictly speaking, they should be merged or deleted for being dupes, as are all other duplicate threads on other topics. if folks find the responses of non-sad owners to be unacceptable, perhaps they need to not shove that fact in their face.
  5. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

@ Kjones

Not to be argumentative but you tend to get back what you give out. Allbass111 had a great post going with all kinds of sincere "experience-based" stuff about his Sad that was very cool to read.

Then you lit a match.

This thread really didn't need that.
  6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

+1, I'm glad you love your bass. I love mine. Enough said.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Albass, I apologize for my tone towards you. Your post was simply a positive account of your bass' performance. Kjones, with his Squier crack, was the one being provacative.

For the record, I have always said that clearly Sadowskys are high quality basses given their popularity among serious pros. That said, great music does not require a Sadowsky any more than it requires my Lakland. Thank God for diversity!:hyper:
  8. lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    What we need is a Sadowsky forum, so we can all kiss each others' butts all day for having a Sadowsky, and we can indefinitely post raves about our Sadowskys on a daily basis, without getting anybody insulted in the process.

The purpose of this forum is to share information and experiences to and from all types of players from all over the world, in all playing situations and stages, and playing all kinds of basses, from cheap to super-expensive. The concentration of Sadowsky snobs (I include myself) is getting this forum often biased.

Blah, blah.
  9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    +1 I like the idea of a Sadowsky forum. These basses have strong following and I am certain it would have alot of traffic.
  10. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
  11. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    I apologize to John, Iota, and anyone else who was offended by my obvious sarcasm. In indirectly commenting on what I consider to be the idiocy of people raining all over someone's parade of enjoying his new bass, I may have done the exact same thing. My fault.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

13. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

Which venue in LA?

It's great to hear about your positive experience. I have not had that type of situation happen to me where the PA was my only amplification. Nice to hear that it worked out well.

So, are you selling your rig and just going full PA from now on???? :D I mean, do you really need the rig??? :D

Take care!
  14. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk

I find most of the Sadowsky threads (pro or con) an interesting study in human behavior. Much like the polarized discourse we see in politics today; we seem to get the extremes. Either John Doe's Sadowsky is the greatest bass ever made, everyone that heard it loves and and everyone in town wants to use him now 'cause he has such a great tone that even non-musicians came up and commented on,

It's the most over-priced, over-hyped scam out there made of off-the-shelf-parts that's no better than (insert bass here) that cost 1/4 the price (if that) and all you guys are just being ripped-off and rationalizing your love of it after you dropped 3-4K on this bass that you have to like now...otherwise you have to admit you just got reamed.

Rarely do you see what I'm about to say (not that I have any particularly gifted insight; I'd just like to see more comments like mine...not very surprising, I suppose ;) ):

I've played Sadowskys. They're good basses; well put together with very good fretwork. The preamp is well designed to give you that "pillowy" bottom end that a lot of people like, and "sizzle" if you like that. Sadowsky makes a high-quality bass...I don't think anyone who knows what they're talking about would argue that.

Do I play one? No. It's not my cup of tea. It's a quality instrument, but not my preference. Tastes vary and tastes change. I played MusicMan Stingrays exclusively for about 10 years. Now, I don't really care for the Ray sound anymore...though I obviously did like it quite a bit at one time. Was there a point in my life when I would have liked the "Sadowsky sound"? Quite possibly. There may be in the future as well. He makes a quality instrument, regardless of the sound you want, and my desire for a quality instrument will never fade. But as I sit here writing this, I have no need for a Sadowsky bass, and it cannot be said that if I played one, then I would want one.

As far as the albass111 story (I'm glad you have an instrument you love...really)...people need to remember something. As an active bass (even with controls "rolled off" or centered) the output voltage is going to be higher than a passive Fender (or any passive bass) and therefore louder and less subject to loading if plugging "straight into the PA".

All things being equal, we're going to hear the louder bass as sounding "better" In addition, the active bass probably will (even accounting for volume) because passive pups will be loaded more (unless offset by a high-input impedance DI, for example) and will produce less low and high end, and generally "not sound as good".

Having said all that, if Roger ever makes a 5 string with 17mm spacing (which I highly doubt); I'll be in line to check one out...after all he makes a quality instrument...

...which may or may not be your cup of tea...

...and either position is equally valid.
  15. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Good post, Marcus -- excellent post!

I suppose I could afford a Sadowsky if I put my mind to it but truthfully, playing bass is a hobby for me and I don't have the chops or the disposable income for that kind of purchase to make sense for me. I actually had a Bongo that I loved but I decided that for my talent level and financial priorities, it didn't make sense for me to have $1,000 tied up in a Bass. :rollno:

Now -- I'm not mad at the people who DO decide to buy expensive instruments -- thousands of satisfied customers can't be wrong. I am however, mad at the people who tell me that anything that is less expensive than a Sad (or a Musicman, or a Fodera, or a Stambaugh, or whatever) is junk. That's simply elitist rubbish. :spit:

I happen to think that the vast majoritiy of bass players (and by extension TB-ers) are pleased to putter along in the < $1,000 bass range. I have corresponded with many folks who are having fun (and in many cases making money) with nice, middle-of-the road Fenders, Ibanezes, Schecters and even SX's. To use the vernacular, "Ain't no shame in that game." I'd like to remind them of that fact and you don't need anyone's "validation" of your bass. If you like it, rock on!

Me, I like my Yamahas and I will continue to extol the virtues of them when asked! :hyper:

I wish folks could learn to live & let live without belittling anyone in the process.
  16. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

As soon as everyone is stripped of their ego's, this might be possible.
  17. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    IMO, there is nothing wrong with gushing over a new bass, whether it's a Hondo, a Sadowsky or a $20,000 custom Alembic. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and that's what makes for a lively discussion. However, there is no need to bash anyone else's choice. Choice is a good thing!

btw, I just got my first Sadowsky yesterday! It's a Metro RV4 in Olympic White/morado/tort pg. It's an amazing bass and yes, I am very excited and proud to own it. In fact, I'm giddy like a schoolgirl!

New thread and pics coming soon!

18. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    (ignoring most of the thread...)

Cool story, albass. Sounds like it was a great show.
  19. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    kjones, props to you ref your last post. You sound like a true gentleman.:D :D :D
  20. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Yea. All that matters is how it works live and on tape. Thats why we buy basses. We need a great tool to get the job done. Sadowsky's get the job done and then some. Rock on