1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why Sadowsky? Obviously...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by albass111, Mar 17, 2006.

1. +1

Classy move, Sir.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

+1 I think all of us have written posts that we wouldn't have written if we had thought just a little longer. I also understand loving an instrument and getting tired of jealous people slagging it.
    As i keep saying, I respect Sadowsky people and their choices. I think that all of us need to come to TB with the idea that we are going to discuss basses, not have our tastes affirmed. Personally, I 'm no great player, but I have been doing it thirty years, and I know what I like. I don't need anyone to tell me how great my choice is. The flipside is that we can be upfront and honest about our tastes, but we don't have to use insulting or dismissive language when we assess basses other than our own.

3. Agreed...and my "dream" instrument is #4253. I won't be affording one like that most likely in my lifetime; however, it is pretty much the bass that would probably "end it all" for me.

That being said - I really, really think it's time for a sadowsky forum separate from the basses forum. Just take a look at the last three month's worth of threads, and it becomes pretty obvious.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    no sweat man :)

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think the reason why these threads tend to polarize so thoroughly might lie in the fact that there are so many of them. over-exposure can sometimes have the opposite effect to what is intended. if the various conklin owners on the forum, for example, kept running threads on how great their basses are, how much they love them, etc, those who didn't own them would tend to get a little tired of them, and would no doubt express that sentiment directly.

personally, i've met roger sadowsky at a few namm shows - shoot i even have a pic of him playing one of my conklins :) - and i think he's a great guy. i think his basses are great too, for what they are. every one i've ever seen has been an excellent example of a fender-style bass taken to the next level. unfortunately for me, fender style basses don't really cut it as far as my needs go, or i'd probably get one.

6. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    uh oh ! Here we go ! :bag:

7. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Nice, now I wonder if Roger would make bass a good passive 4 or 5 string bass

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Someone around here had asked about that and he found out they wont do that.

9. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    I wouldn't care about the active/passive aspect; I'm just too used to 17mm spacing, which I'm pretty sure is something Roger is never gonna make. I don't blame him...most players don't want that spacing, and he has enough business coming his way that he doesn't need to cater to a niche group. If I were in his shoes, I'd feel the same way probably.

Would be sweet tho....:hyper:

10. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds

I too have done this with just a Radial JDI. Had great tone.

11. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I will never understand why there are so many Sadowsky haters out there. Even more so, haters of Sadowsky lovers. What makes talk bass great though is difference of opinion. What I like is that we are (for the most part) anonymous. I'm like most of you, my gear is worth five times my car, and I'm hustling gigs to make a living.

I don't think that my original post had elements of "I have a Sadowsky, and you don't have one! hahaha" but it strikes a chord in some of you guys. Guys who are really humble, (and probably great cats) just know that I was sharing a story where a bunch of heavies recognized a great bass and left one line for props.

The players on the aforementioned gig are guys who don't even know Sadowsky from Schecter, but they knew good bass tone when they heard it. Stop crucifying those who enjoy their instruments.
    I stick to my story that most basses can't pull off what the Sad can.
    That being said, I had another great gig last night for St. Patty's day in a U2 cover band. My Fender P and Jazz nailed it right from the beginning:) .

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Nobody criticized you Albass. At first some folks confused your post with that of Kjones, but once the mistake was pointed out, those people, including myself, redirected our criticism.

As for you thinking your Sadowskys can do things most other basses can do, you may very well be right. You sound like someone with alot more gig experience than me, and you probably have good data from which to make your judgement. I also have to note that a bass that runs anywhere from $1,800-$3,900 ought to be able to do things that other basses cannot do, especially other less expensive basses.

13. puff father

puff father Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    I think it's a great feeling when your bass comes through for you, especially in a tough spot. I'm happy for albass111 and for all Sadowsky owners. It's obviously a great line of axes that perform well in the real world.

My experience with my Alembic Spoiler has been mixed. Though when it doesn't seem to be cutting it, invariably a new set of strings brings it right back to life. I guess it's really subject to dead strings = dead sounding bass = frustration syndrome. With a nice set of strings I have always been quite happy with the tone and performance. I'm a happy Alembic customer. If I had unlimited funds or played for a living I'd probably have several basses for use in different venues, but for now I only have one and it hasn't let me down yet.

:)

14. polo515

polo515

Feb 27, 2006
    NYC
    When I purchased my Metro in January, I never realized the "controversial" nature of the Sadowsky brand. I find it fascinating and much like an allegiance to a Sports team. All I want to add to this thread is that after getting this bass, I wanted to connect to all things bass, and this caused me to discover Talk Bass. I have been playing out regularly for over 35 years and I never thought an instrument could reenergize me to this level. That said, I've always loved my '75 Fender Jazz, bought new for about $300 and have enjoyed my Ken Smith Burner also. Play a bass you love to play! It's great to see such emotion over our instruments.

15. Wayner

Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    lol!