1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

why satin instead of gloss with Fender AS and MIM necks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SwitchGear, Oct 31, 2006.

1. SwitchGear

SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Sunny Beach
    I like the gloss necks on Fender Japan necks rather than the satin necks of the American and Mexican models. Real classy and nice looking.

As far as playability, one can sand them down for smooth sailin', no problem.

Anyone else feel this way?

2. Go figure. I *love* the satin necks and cant stand the glossy stuff.

To each their own I guess....

comatosedragon likes this.
  3. Well I like the glossy necks - and after a few months the satin neck goes glossy anyway.

Do you mean you like the look of the gloss varnsh on the headstock front / fretboard?

4. I think most like satin,glos can get a bit sticky feeling and can slow people down a bit.

5. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Glossy feels a bit sticky to me. I wouldn't want to have to sand anything down. Knowing me, I'd make a mess of it. :p

I love a natural feel and a natural look.

Joe

6. I've got very dry hands so I've never had that sticky feeling. (And I am trying to be serious.) One the other hand I quite like the ability to hang on to a position with my thumb staying planted on the back of the neck - is that sticky? It maybe about how you play and whether you use a thumb on the back of the neck, or your palm with the neck resting on your fingers, or your thumb over the neck if you're playing down below waist height. This will all make sense to players and baffle everyone else.

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I think it depends on the model. The basses with the gloss finishes on the neck that I've seen have been those that were 70's style basses. I'm not sure, though.

8. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I prefer the satin necks, but I had a MIJ Jazz that I loved, so I got some steel wool and voila, satin neck.

Marshall

9. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I love the glass-smooth glossy finish of the CIJ necks. I just replaced the neck on my MIM J with a CIJ 62RI neck. I love it! No sticky problems here. I've heard of people rubbing their glossy necks with 0000 steel wool or 2000 grit sandpaper to give a satiny feel but leave a glossy appearance.

10. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    The Fender AVRI series, MIM Classic series, and CIJ RI basses all have gloss-finished necks.

11. RareBear

RareBear

Oct 30, 2006
    Gloss please. That was my #1 point in my last purchase which was the Geddy Lee Fender Jazz (Japan). I walked into Sam Ash and said "show me your basses with gloss finishes on the neck". Made it very easy to rule out a lot.

I keep my neck clean and often use powder on my hand. In essence, I don't feel the neck or have the sense that there's something in my hand, whereas with satin I feel the wood and it seems slowing and in the way.

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Thanks, that's the gist of what I was getting at. ;)

13. Satin / natural necks for me. I don't mind gloss but I have played the odd gloss neck that almost squeaks when you try and move your hand around... Thats getting a bit 'sticky'

14. SwitchGear

SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Sunny Beach

Yea, the headstock is what I mean.

A scuffy pad and a couple of minutes de-glosses the back of the neck smooth as silk. It worked fine on my '51 reissue.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2021