1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why should I choose an AD200b over an SVT?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tonymcbony, Jan 23, 2012.

1. tonymcbony

tonymcbony

Mar 21, 2006
    Convince me: why should I get an Orange Ad200b and get rid of my SVT.

Here are my concerns with the SVT-CL:
    - Too damned heavy
    - Too many tubes (I've already had to replace the power section)
    - Doesn't get enough grind even with the gain wound right up
    - Cost of maintenance is pretty high around here

Things I like about the SVT
    - The tone is lovely

Concerns with the Orange
    - Might not have enough headroom due to 200w. I was planning on putting an 12AT7 in the preamp and some KT88s in anyway.
    - EQ not as flexible, might not be able to get the mids I like

Things I like
    - Colour :D
    - Weight (
    - Only 4 tubes in power and 3 in pre
    - Simple EQ/layout
    - Everyone has an Ampeg, not everyone has an Orange

I haven't had a chance to try the AD200b yet, and I own the SVT. My plan is to get a PF500 to get a gig-worthy amp that delivers the Ampeg tone and get the Orange to deliver the grind and tubey loveliness. I play post, prog, math and alt rock.

What would you do?

2. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    weight is the only advantage of the Orange IMO

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    "Everyone has an Ampeg" is a lame reason. Otherwise do what you want.

4. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    Ugh, I had that mentality for many years..:rollno:

Guilty as charged.:(

5. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Might as well say "everyone has a tube head" and get a SS Mesa M9. Juss sayin'.

6. tonymcbony

tonymcbony

Mar 21, 2006
    Don't get hung up on that line folks, I OWN an Ampeg too :D

Maybe I should be a bit more a bit more obvious; I like things with a bit of character that are a bit off the beaten track. I regard Ampeg as the standard for bass tone and I quite like the fact that in having a Orange I'd have a tone that is a bit more unique.

7. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    OK. My free suggestion (worth every cent it costs:D) is a Mesa BB750. It is, as they say, all good. The Orange israted at 200 watts but IIRC has been bench tested to push only 160 watts or so. It won't get very loud and clean, if you ever need that.

8. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    The Orange is an awesome amp, but if you don't like grit, don't get it. I've used them multiple times in loud hardcore and metal settings, and even into 810's or 612's or w/e it always starts to break up pretty early

9. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Get a Matamp, everything good about the Orange, and better in every way.

10. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I own an SVT VR and an AD200B. If I had to keep one it would be the SVT for its clean headroom at volume and its midrange punch. That said, the Orange is a great amp and gets its fair share of use. I have found that it can do clean with sufficient headroom for me (guitarist runs a Marshall Hendrix stack) and it really do the deep lows particularly well. I tend to prefer the Orange with one band where the guitarist plays 335 as it sits underneath it tonally, the SVT fits a strat (to put an unusal perspective on it).
    Plus the lighter weight and cool look of the Orange is a definite plus.

11. arthur31686

arthur31686 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2011
    There are so many new all tube heads on the market that sound amazing that it makes my head spin.

If you have an SVT and it isn't working then I say go for something else.

12. If you're in the market for an Orange, I would also recommend getting a Matamp over it. I would personally opt for a used 200w Hiwatt or even a Verellen Meatsmoke at that price range, but that's just me. I like a bit of grind which you'll get with a little less watts over an SVT. I also enjoy a more simple circuit and eq.

13. If the mids of the Ampeg are what you like you probably will end up with another Ampeg even if you get the Orange. My name is Glen & I'm a gear swapper, I've had many amps & basses over the years too many to list & I always come full circle to Ampeg & fender p or j style basses. Save yourself the misery of re-buying amps & gear like me. I now finally have an Ampeg SVT 2 non pro & am back at home, most of the way I still need a 810 again. I dont think weight & cost of maintenance should determine what tools you use to achieve your ideal tone unless you have chronic back pain. You'll miss the SVT, I wish someone had talked me off the ledge back in 93 when I got rid of my SVT Classic and 810.

14. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    Just a squishy thumpy goodness that I prefer with my old SVT over the orange that I got to spend some quality time with. I can't speak for a comparison with a new CL, only my blueline.

15. SVE

SVE

Dec 20, 2010
    My Orange AD200B was recently re-tubed and, according to my tech pushes 220 watts with Gold Lion kt88s. When I received the AD200B, it had cheap chinese tubes and sounded fair - I think that's a big misconception with the Orange because when you hit it with some good tubes it really shows its potential, and becomes a big contender in the high watt tube category. I like the Orange AD200B a lot but, personally I'd like a a vintage SVT better or a hand wired SVT-VR but they are so goddamn heavy. Otherwise I have a problem with the sound of SVT-CL (sounds ehh) and the VR I tried in store sounded like it had a bee hive in it. The Orange definitely does grit and grind but, if you swap out the preamp tubes for some cleaner ones that can help a bunch of your going for a clean sound. Tone wise the AD200B accentuates the low mids, which makes for a super creamy and fat tone.

Matamps are lovely but, I'm pretty sure they're like $2000-2200? I don't know for sure though...

16. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    You forgot:
    Geddy use Orange
    Squire use SVT

:)

Both amps are super cool. The SVT CL offers a bit more for the money, as it is relatively cheaper then the AD200.
    It all about the tone.

17. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    The bench test referred to is this one: Servicing of an Orange AD200 Bass Guitar Amp

It was with GEC Gold Lions, and would be at a pretty low distortion level, since Chambo is a serious hifi amps sort of dude.

Does kind of hint the problem with them may have been corrected: Servicing of Three Orange Amps

18. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Could have been this one too. They rated it at 145 watts clean, 163 watts peak. They were only able to get 200 watts out after changing the output transformer.

ORANGE Voice of The World AD200 MK3 Bass Amp

19. Menno

Menno

Feb 21, 2011
    The Netherlands
    OMG, did Orange pull a TC?

20. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Considering that the amp they retrofitted was bought in 2007 I'd say it was probably the other way round ;)