1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why so cheap?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by danstefl, Mar 30, 2009.

1. TeamTrejo

TeamTrejo

Oct 12, 2008
    Franklin WI
    Looks pretty nice for 4 bills. Maybe stolen?

Go and get that rig right now before I drive down there and beat you to it.;)

2. I mean, am I missing something here? that just seems cheap for a full Rig..what am I overlooking??

Oh Great BassPlayers of TB - help a young player in his endevour!

3. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Yeah, that looks like a smokin deal. Most used Peavey gear has always been known to sell at bargain prices. Prices are pretty much down on all types of used stuff right now so...

4. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    The head is worth around $200 (but is a fine head btw), the cabs look to be of mysterious origin. Look to be no-name cabs, for some reason he doesn't say much about them...

5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I agree, the cabs are probably no-name, possibly home-made, however they look pretty good in the pics. I'd bet in terms of actual rocking per dollar, that's a great deal and you aren't missing anything. However be aware that no-name cabs are hard to resell.

6. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    I would go and look at the setup with 3 $100 bills in my right pocket and a $50 bill in my left pocket and I'll bet you could leave without getting into your left pocket.

If it all works that is.

7. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Hey, I do that too... ;)

8. I love my Peavey stuff, but many people despise it. The resale is never good for Peavey, but the durability is amazing. I would not hesitate at that price.

9. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Peavey tone = good but not great (IMHO), but as for as being reliable, bullet proof, honest watts & output and value = top notch!

10. joebingo

joebingo

Aug 23, 2006
    London, UK
    +1 for bullet proof, my combo has survived many a 4 ft drop!

I'd say go for the deal!

11. Thanks guys - I'm going to check it out tomorrow afternoon at lunch.

I'm glad I found this site, you guys are alot of help and it's nice to be around people that love playing the bass and everything that comes with it as much as I do.

12. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    Make sure you report back on this and let us know what you find out. If you decide you don't want it, one of us might :D

13. ok guys - I actually checked it out last night. the only thing I would want is the head. the cabs are crap and seem to be dry rotting. he couldn't tell me what type of speakers they were and wouldn't let me take them out to check. The money never came out of my pocket and he seemed Shady. I had my bass with me but he said it was "to late" to play.

I'm continuing to search. sometimes if it sounds too good to be true, it is.

14. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    I think all looks well for 400 bucks. make sure it works and all is good.

15. I think it's a little hasty to call theft of this. CL is FULL of amazing deals by simple ignorant people that do not know the value of what they are selling. Maybe the owner died and the family is re-selling.

If you're REALLY lucky you'll get a jilted ex that is selling the other ex's stuff for SUPER cheap.

But mostly, it's just people making room for whatever and they don't know the value of what they are selling.

This happens a lot with my other passion: bicycles. I've seen and aquired SUPER nice frames, parts, and full bikes for many hundreds less that what they are worth.

16. Hey guys - he called me back last night and said he was sorry for the swiftness of the previous evening. He said he had to ask his son which whom he is selling this for. he stated on my voicemail it was -

"They are home built cabinets with Eminence speakers inside."

Home built? I have seen nice cabs built by someone that know what they are doing and then I have seen cabs built by kids who are trying to put speakers in their trunk. Both scare me because the enclosure is a big player in the overall sound.

I'm on a fence with not having enough experience and the fact they are Eminence speakers and a bulletproof Peavy head...

WWTBD?

17. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    $400 seems about right to me esp. with the homemade cabs (low resale value). I'd just go and try it.

18. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    hell, i backed over a peavey combo once. tore the cab all grades of up, but electronically, it was still as good as pre-smooshing. cab wasnt salvageable though, lol---- it rattled and raised bloody heck even at low volumes.... particle board.... meh.

19. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    A lot of Eminence drivers come with cab designs. Good chance those designs were used to build the actual cabs. Call him back and arrange to play through them.