Why so few 12" choices?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrBonex, Mar 31, 2004.

1. MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Why are so many of the amp/speaker companies slow to pick up on the (sort of) recent phenomenon of the 12" speaker for bass?

Reading this forum leads me to believe that a LOT of bassists love 12s. And I'm one of them!

I'm not so young and naive to not understand the conservative nature of manufacturing, but really, this has been going on for some time. Sure there are some models from some companies, but not nearly enough IMO.

And while I'm on this rant: MORE NEODYMIUM, please.

Thoughts? Opinions? Manufacturers -- are you listening?
  2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Who's slow to pick up on them?

Ampeg offers them

Aguilar offers them

Bag End offers them

Eden offers them

Ashdown offers them

Epifani offers them

EA offers them

Bergantino offers them

etc etc....

The list is pretty long and varied.
  3. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    EBS, Glockenklang, Hevos, Tech Soundsystems... ;)
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    12" speakers for bass is hardly a recent phenomenon.

The first piggyback Fender Bassmans back in 1960 used 12" speakers.

I once owned a Bassman 100 cabinet from about 1972 that was 4-12" and a late 60s Vox Essex combo amp with 2-12".

For much of the 90s I used a home made cab built from EV plans that was loaded with an EVM-12.

Polytone and GK combos with 1-12" have been popular with upright players for decades.
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'm a 12" guy since the 80's

my rant! I want Bergantino NV412 :cool: :bassist: :cool:
  6. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Brian...was that Fender 4-12 the one where all the speakers angled in?
    I always wondered what that sounded like.

I used a Peavey 4-12 backline for a steady gig at a Navy bass. It was some sort of multipurpose cab that worked fine
  7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Carvin BRX12. And they're even neodymium.
  8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have a fairly good list of 12" cabs here
    Although I am missing a few of the above mentioned cabs :(
  9. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    swr and flite as well.
  10. Genz Benz offers a small line of cabs with 12" neo drivers. I'd really like to check them out, but there are no dealers around here and I can't really afford to want things. :) I've read that they're very good though.
  11. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Boogie Walkabout - Neo speakers. Nice. Mine will be arriving at my house in about 6 weeks.
  12. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    i think the question is.. who DOESNT offer 12" speakers in their cabs.....
  13. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Any easier question. Fender has no current 12" cabs. GK has no full size 12" cabs, just the Microbass extension, although rumours they would have one? Also no 12" cabs from Mesa Boogie.
  14. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    I've been using the Fender 4X12s since ancient times (74). First with the original Bassman head that was replaced with a 71 SVT. The SVT and two 4X12s really held their own against any Marshall or Fender guitar stack.
    The two that I've played through are indeed capable of great funk,r&b,and all facets of rock sounds. They can even handle a low B. If you are entertaining the idea of getting one, you'll probably have to recalk the insides and check the speakers for any age related probs but once that's done it's a great cab. And yes it can be loud,thick and punchy or thumpy depending on what you want to dial up on your power source.
    Great old school without mud. But if your looking for glassy highs and that sterilized "Hi Fi" sound, this aint it.
    Happy Times,
  15. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Greetings from the North?

Just where up North? I used to live "up north".
  16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Don't forget Accugroove! In addition to the Tri 112 (which is available with a neo mag), the Whappo, Jr. has not one, but two entirely different 12's in it! And yes, both are available with neo magnet-equipped drivers.

17. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Contrary to what many manufacturers will have you believe, neodymium magnets don't give quite the same sound; they tend to have a very strong emphasis on the mids. Nevertheless, I still think they're worth it for all the weight savings. Just watch out, they're very prone to damage from heat, and once you damage them, they're gone.

As for 12" speakers, I think it's because they're not really necessary. When you have enough 10" speakers in the right enclosure, you can easilly handle a B. After all, many bass enclosures are now getting by with 8" and even 5" woofers.
  18. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    On a big Rez (reservation) in Canada:)
  19. bmc

Nov 15, 2003

as in....

Dishes shee bee shee with Peter Mansbridge?
  20. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Yup, We get the truth (according To Pete) 5 days a week.
    Happy Times,