1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why so little bottom end these days?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by glocke1, Jan 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    I've been watching a lot of bass videos on you tube lately. These range from guys in music stores demoing basses via ipotato recordings, to more professionally done videos (i.e. lesson vids, bass manufacturer vids) where the bass is recorded in a manner that should lend itself to having a good tone. For the sake of argument I'll write the iPhone videos off since it's almost impossible to get a good bass recording from those.

The one thing I've noticed is that a great many of the bass tones in these videos seem to have very little bottom end added in, resulting in a tone that basically sounds pretty harsh/raspy and
    unpleasant to listen to with my ears. It almost sounds like it's all top end and midrange with very little of the lower frequencies mixed in.

It's not all recordings mind you. I've heard different recordings of the same bass, one where there was a decent amount of the lower frequencies mixed in and it sounded
    pleasant, while others just sounded like I described above, thin, harsh and raspy.

AlexanderB likes this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    It's all subjective - what some folks call "great slap tone" is more like "thin, harsh and raspy" to me. I like big bottoms, I cannot lie. :D

kobass and bolophonic like this.
  3. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Couldn't resist...
    000618-Spinal-Tap-Big-Bottom-Saturday-Night-Live-1984.

Unemploid, kobass and bholder like this.
  4. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Bedroom tone - most bass equipment is sold to bedroom players so that's what the videos cater to...

5. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    Audio quality on YouTube is horrible. The record might sound different.