Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why So Little Elrick Talk Here???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Apr 15, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

while, i've long since been seduced by the Sadowsky side, i've recently been getting to know again my Elrick Classic Singlecut 5.

truth be told, found it sittin' all its lonesome in my manhattan mini storage locker, wrapped in a plastic garbage bag, due its gig bag being relegated to one of my Sad's. :meh: had thought about selling it, but something just kept me back.

so, after restringing it with a fresh set of Zon nickels i had lying around, and replacing the dying 9v, was greeted with some killer El tone! very growly, yet also highly articulate. and incredibly lightweight. easily the lightest bass i own. and while i thought i swore off "modern" looking basses for gigging, the elegant slope of the singlecut is still quite striking with its burled walnut top.

then as i was posting my genial thoughts for my El, i realized there's been soooooo little Elrick talk 'round here. the fit, finish, elegant looks, and especially, the design of the neck thru is quite amazing, and yet, i remember not paying nearly as much as most other competitors.

wassup? show your Elrick love!

any pics? i'll be putting mine this weekend.

btw, has anyone conversed with Rob? i'm thinking of sending back my El for a fret dressing to even up the ground down frets. heard he's a bit of a bass curmudgeon.

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    My old NJS, now owned by TBer grooveguru

[​IMG]

3. I love the look of Elrick basses, but cannot get past the headstock (Mark's old NJS has a different headstock than most Elricks.) Just not my thing. Same with Skjold basses. AWESOME looking instruments, but that headstock just shies me away. I guess while I'm at it, I could say the same about the Sukop basses.

I know, I know, I'm superficial and shallow. :spit:

4. There's a really nice Classic 5 with a quilt top at The Low End.

I love Elricks!! I have always wanted to get one.....just not enough $ to soothe the desire.

5. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I'm fond of how the lower horn on the Classic models curves sharply downward. Look like they would be very comfortable to play while sitting.

Do Elricks have an overly modern sound? By that I mean always bright and clanky( is that a word?). Or do they fatten up nicely?

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    ya know,

i hear guys say that, but i like the headstock! kinda cool, and complements the rest of the bass very well.

scott,

the onboard bart pre allows a variety of sounds. i actually like a thicker low mid sound with an extended hifi top end, and the El gets just that.

7. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    This has been one of my favorite Elricks ... would love to play this bass :bassist:

[​IMG]

8. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I'm a big Elrick fan...I've owned three of them over the years, but for whatever reason, when I start comparing the Elricks with my other basses, I always decide to sell the Elricks for whatever reason. The tone is great, but I end up preferring my MTDs instead which to me has the most similar tone to the Elrick. At some point I will own another one I'm sure. The trick for me is to find the right wood combinations I guess.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hey jokerjkny, can't wait to see the pics of YOUR Elrick!

I love my Elricks very much. They're the most comfortable and best playing basses I've touched, which are the most important factors in a bass for me. I'm getting the Aero pickups in my fretless switched out for Bart soapbars like the ones in my fretted (Aeros are just too clean for me I guess, and I don't like single coils much), if they ever arrive :meh:, but acoustically it sounds perfect. They do have a modern sound, but I wouldn't call it high-fi...they don't sound like Zons or some of the Moduluses I've tried. I really like that they are very clear without being bright or thin. The way I play fingerstyle can make almost any bass sound pretty bright though. I can definitely get a thicker, warmer sound with the EQ and using mostly the neck pickups.

The Elrick headstock used to be my least favorite after Sukop. Having them around has gotten me to liking them very much though-they look much better in person (the angled headstock looks tiny in most pictures), and their small size prevents any neckdive. They are super-light basses (most of them anyways-Mike Zimmerman used to have one that was around 11-12lbs.). My fretless probably weighs under eight pounds.

They're actually have some differences despite looking so similar. My fretless is a Classic and my fretted is an e-volution. The Classics have the sharper turning lower horn (Scottie Johnson-they are comfortable sitting on your leg-but I've heard of it being uncomfortable for guys with big/thick legs. I'm 5'8, 183lbs, and it doesn't bother me), a slightly different control layout curvature, and a more squared-off radiusing of the edges, kind of like a Nordstrand. The e-volution has what Rob calls bullnose radiusing, which is more rounded edges on everything. I like the radiusing on the e-volution better myself, but I know of others who prefer the Classic edges. You can see the difference pretty clearly on my pics below. My fretless also has a narrower nut and a slightly thinner neck, which is VERY comfortable.

I imagine they don't get too much press here on TB because the website almost NEVER gets updated (he finally added an email address to contact him in the past month after there not being any way to contact him directly for years), and a lot of Elrick owners seem to keep to themselves as far as putting pictures up on the internet. I've spoken with Rob E. on the phone once, and he was very friendly and talkative. I imagine running a one-man outfit like his can put a limit on your time and patience though. He's going to build me a couple of ramps for my Elricks. He is very hard to track down and get ahold of (before this new email anyways)-he's like the Willy Wonka of basses-quietly shipping out wonderful products, but no one ever sees or hears from him :D They are pretty well-priced new-a singlecut five with a nice top will go for about $3200, and a bolt-on gold standard will go for about $2000. They're usually insanely cheap used-I picked up both of mine used and the total price of them was $4400.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fretless back
    [​IMG]
    Fretted back
    [​IMG]

10. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Damn Joker, I didn't know you still had that beautiful piece. I remember playing it up at Epifanis with you a few years back, very sweet...

~S~

11. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    This may be petty, but I hate the Elrick headstocks. On an otherwise sleek and sexy bass, Elrick uses that bland, boring square block for a headstock? I don't get it. I just Hate it. They may be great basses too. Not denying that. The NJS style headstock on the other hand is reasonably hip, stylish and cool. Just my opinion regarding design. Not meant to dismiss or offend anyone.

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I still haven't learned to like the NJS headstock-looks like somebody took a bite out of it.

This pick shows what the headstocks look like from straight on-they're not quite as stumpy as they look in most pictures:
    [​IMG]

13. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Well I just got my 2nd Elrick today from TBer Mark Beem

[​IMG]

This was a custom NJS with the single pick-up config that isn't normally offered. Also the body wood is Black Limba (not offered either) with a figured Walnut cap. And to round things out it has the Aguilar OBP-3 preamp instead of the usual Bart pre.

I haven't gigged with it yet but initial thoughts are:

1.) Lightweight similar to my Gold Standard but even lighter I think.

2.) Same comfortable Elrick neck.

3.) Action is outrageously low without buzzing.

4.) Sound is very clear and articulate but with a open woody type of tone.

I'll be an Elrick player for life. Get past the headstock and give one a try.

14. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I LOVE the Elrick headstocks and overall design and esthetics and I think Mr. Tyler has some of the nicest pieces out thur! 'specially the fretless! 'd love to try one.....

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    In an old thread I listed the Elrick NJS headstock as one of my least favorites... then I got one. Issue resolved.
    [​IMG]

It's a complete non-issue with me now. My NJS fretless even has an elongated version of the NJS headstock. The standard Elrick headstock actually isn't square at all... compare it to a Fodera Monarch headstock;)

I'm curious as to how many Elrick owners take them out on gigs? That's where they flat out blew me away. My NJS 5 is an absolute beast and the 4 string NJS and Evolution would put the most reformed Wankaholic into remission;). The single pickup semihollow custom NJS fretless 5 just moans and the lined singlecut fretless 5 slaps extremely well in addition to being an incredible fretless. All of my Elricks weigh nothing and sound huge live. I have five and I'd buy another one, they're that good IMO.

As far as talking to Rob, I think he's very cool people. Very personable, very opinionated, very knowledgeable. Very skilled. What more do ya want? :D

Reminds me a lot of me:D

16. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hey grooveguru, that Elrick you got from Mark originally belonged to TBer Tumbao, as did my Elrick fretted. They're brothers! Just thought you'd like to know :)

[​IMG]

17. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I gigged with my Gold Standard all the time and will be doing the same with my NJS. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's gig! My previous Elrick constantly got compliments on it's sound and it was the most consistant bass I ever played. I wished I hadn't traded it away! :bawl:

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hehe,

great memory, again!

btw, and lets keep it on the down low... :bag:

but once, i ran into a certain beloved bass maker who works the floor above the Epifani shop, and upon checkin' out my Elrick mentioned, "wow, not too shabby at all..." :p

and sweet holy mother, Bryan... those are the Elricks of my dreams. :eek: and Brad, now you're just showin' off. :smug:

19. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    I think Rob does amazing work. . . I've been very impressed with all the Elricks I've owned which have been 3. First, the pink ivorywood fretless that Bryan now owns -- very organic, I thought the Aero's in that bass were absolutely the perfect match for the alder/pink ivorywood. Then I had a 36 in scale classic singlecut 6 for a while. Mahogany body/cocobolo board and mandolin frets. That too was a serious player, I just couldn't get down on the Bartolini thing and the cocobolo was a bit too warm/round for me with the maho body. I've now got the NAMM NJS from basstasters.com. I've found that I am not a fan of Bart's, thus most standard Elricks are out for me. I still cannot get past Fodera as the greatest playing/sounding/looking basses for me, but Rob's are a close second. When I can, I'm going to have him build me one. . . :bassist:

20. Great...Thanks for the GAS. :scowl: I'm glad I can't afford one of those, and that the Cort copy is only available as a 5'er. I love the evo and classic headstock, but very much dislike the NJS headstock.