1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why so little info on dual pickup Musicmans?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by petch, Mar 30, 2006.

1. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I am extremely interested in the new offerings from Ernie Ball/ Musicman, specifically the Sterling in HH or HS configuration. Their website seems to be same old, same old and any pics and info on these models is hard to find. What gives? Surely some of the Musicman fans can enlighten me...:confused:

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
  3. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I talk about my '05 LE HH 5 string ever chance I get. :hyper:

4. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    But no mention on the actual EB MM site. I mentioned this awhile back.

oh well, I suppose EB is to busy making that guy Ed Roman apologize for faking their stuff.

5. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Yes, that's what I was referring to. You'd think with new, exciting stuff that EB MM would want to get it on their website. Most manufacturers are blowing their horn about a new product before it's really available, not after the fact. Seems strange to me.

6. EBs Legal Team that was going after Ed Roman has very little to do with the website, I assure you of that.

Sterling Ball believes in his products. He doesnt PAY a dime on advertising and never has. He says let the basses sell themselves, and they have been. Its also been noted on the EB forums that the website will be updated.

They did drop word on the Dual pup basses before they came out, and word go tthem out. So theyre not on the website? You know about em dont you?

7. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    It's a fad... it will never catch on... :ninja:

8. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I wasn't referring to Roman or advertising, only the fact that the website hasn't been updated.

9. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    If you're looking for information on them, go to the EB forums. That's where they announce new stuff, answer questions about specs, etc.

You'll probably wait a long time before you see anything on the main website about them, while they've already announced newer models such as the Sterling 5 and the 20th anniversary SR5 on the forums.

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I had a chance to plat Pat's (cheezewiz's) dual pickup MusicMan, and I have to say, I found it extremely impressive. The range of tones available was incredible, and it really played great.

Tom.

11. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    They sell themselves, no need to update the site :D

12. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    ohh, really...in normal business terms, this would be termed a deficient advertising program. So only the denizens of a forum find out new products?

That's NOT good business.

And the lack of ability to take a joke here is really appalling...(the Roman comment)

But you all know so much more than me.

:bag:

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    As already stated, you know about them, dont you? So it seems more than the members of the EBMM forum know about them.

Their quality assures that word gets around about them.

THey do have them in large stores such as GC for the everyday person to try them and tell others about them.

Instead of bashing a company that doesnt need to advertise,yet still sells amazingly well, shouldnt you be commending them?

14. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Part of the issue is that they are overwhelmed with orders and don't want to do anything to cause the wait-build time to increase significantly. The buzz on the new models has - obviously - been good, and hasn't been limited in any way to the EBMM Forums.

If EB felt that the website updates were a priority issue, it would be done already, but the basses really are flying out the door faster than they can make them.

That said, I'd be glad to answer any questions you might have.

Jack

15. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Does anyone who has played the dual HH SR5 find themselves missing the series/parallel coil switching of the single pup version?

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That is a good question. I will let you know when my HH SR5 comes, since i play my sterling in Series. I definitely am expecting to miss the series tone a little bit, but Im also expecting to love all of the new tones at my fingertips :)

17. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I nearly bought one a week back and i think that the five posiution switch actually does allow for coil splitting just like on a single pup SR5. Thye are great basses, just writing this makes me want to go out and get one!

18. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The switch allows for various combinations of the coils, in lieu of a blend pot, but not the series/parallel switching like on the single pickup SR5.
    Like Figjam said, maybe having the neck pup will negate the loss of series/parallel switching.

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think its a cool idea to leave out the coil switching, since now regular SR5s wont get left behind, they still have something unique to offer.

20. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Not even a little.