Why so many polls in "Technique"?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Jun 12, 2001.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I was just amazed this morning to see that virtually every topic in this forum that inludes new posts is a poll! :rolleyes:

I think this begs the question of what "Technique" is really about - are people really interested in a discussion about technique for playing bass guitar? My view would be that this is quite a subjective issue once you have considered the "basics" - like good left and right hand technique - and as such is not something that can be pinned down by a poll?

So what is the point of posting a poll about this subject, when really you need a discussion - I mean why should I care how many people use a pick - even if 99.9% of people thought it was the only way, it still wouldn't convince me or anyone else! I mean - as far as I was aware this was Talk Bass - talking about bass playing, not gathering statistics.

I also think that a lot of topics end up discussing music theory or notation and this is clearly nothing to do with "Technique" as such - so maybe these parts of TalkBass need revising. Recently there have been a lot of posts about Jazz Theory and maybe we need to have a forum for "Theory/Notation and Related Issues" and one for "Playing Techniques" ?

(Hopefully the latter can have the polls and I can ignore it completely, while polls would be banned from the former which would only include interesting "discussions"! ;))
  2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I agree with you Bruce, there is lots of poll here. I don't like poll more then you, so I don't answer. I think, if they could be used the right way, poll could be a good thing. But they are over used.
    I think music theory can be talked here and on general instruction. Maybe a new forum could be good, but I'm not sure.
    I also think that technique as it's place, technique is something that all bass player use. I know that lots of thread are about how to slap and is pick better than finger. But that's technique, those thread will always be there.
    I can't wait to see what other people think about it.
  3. Polls in the technique forum...
    it seems kind of odd, but as Yvon says, I also think that if used correctly they can be useful, but some stuff has been done to death, like "pick vs. fingers" "Which is better, pick or fingers?" "What benefits are there of using a pick?" etc.

Honestly, I see technique as a very personal thing that's hard to convey in words. If you grab 5 bassists and ask how each of them plays, chances are you'll get 5 different responses. If you grab 10 bassists, you could get 10 different responses. But then if you ask them all to play, you might see that some of the actually play the same way, just explain it differently. Or, you could find that 2 people who gave the same answer actually play differently.

One thing that'd help a lot is if everyone who posts in technique had a camera for their computer, took a short 5 second video clip of how they play, and THEN ask questions.
    Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure a lot of people don't have cameras, and if they did, downloading videos to watch and then analyze could eat up a ton of bandwidth. Especially if we had people asking about picking technique, fingerstyle technique, left hand technique and slap technique. Then that'd be four videos per person.

But...I dunno. Most of the polls in technique I tend to ignore.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

So do I, but today that meant not reading anything in Technique!! :eek:

I know that John Turner has suggested we have a theory forum before without success - but how about if it was a catch-all to cover music, notation questions, any aspects of harmony, chord-scale questions etc. And then a forum which is more "How You Play Bass" - Playing Technique and all things practical, related to it. These two forums, if carefully specified and signposted could replace Technique and General Instruction?