why so many strings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by plar, Jul 31, 2005.

1. plar

Jun 14, 2005
    What is the point of having a bass that has more than 6 strings?
  2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
  3. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Im not an extended range player, but I have deep respect for them. Youve never been playing a 4 string and just get to a point where you want more notes to come out? youve never wanted to be able to play a line all in one position? Youve never said "damn.. getting up to the gazillionth fret is not only hard, but often doesnt sound so great?" If you havent, then keep on playing! I think you will (I have, but the feel of even a 5 string kinda bugs me. the more strings, the wider the neck, the less I feel in control)
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Why not? Different strokes for different folks, right?
  5. You get to play more notes in one position and you have both higher and lower notes available to you. This has been done to death IIRC. Do a search. :D

6. Some players might ask you, "whats the point of having a bass with less than 6 strings".

Its called personal taste.

I play 4s and 5s. Do I see a need for 6 strings, no, not for me. Is there a reason for others to have them, yup. Cause it may work for them.
  7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama

Sorry, but this topic has been done to death.. Try a search on "extended range basses"..

8. lol mark you're awesome. :cool: :D
  9. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  10. jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    so we can have a place to hang our laundry.
  11. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    the point is exploring new limits, synth like sub notes, piccolo like chordings, its all there :)
  12. :D
  13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I can understand the 6 string.

And I can understand the 4 string...

Why would anyone want a 5 string? Its so in the middle.
  14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Sorry, Mark, but I had to remove your pic.

While it was hilarious:D, and totally relevant, the profanity is against the rules.
  15. 6+ string basses give you more flexibility at the expense of added weight and possible reduced playability. However, if you've got extended range, you don't have to move around as much anyways, so the playability stays about the same.

I would play a 7 if someone donated it to my cause.....anyone?
  16. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass

Good thing I right clicked and saved it!!
  17. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
  18. BlacktotheBlind

BlacktotheBlind Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    unfortunately, some of us bassists aren't blessed with big hands. sure, just about anyone could get around on a six with some practice but not everyone has the need for a high C. most songs i play only require the standard EADG, but there's a few i like that include the low B.
  19. Why would anyone want more than 1 string?!?!?!?! lol :bag: You get every note and most twice!! What a deal! :p
  20. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    To piss off narrow minded people who post about things they don't know about without even trying to do any research first.

Hey Mark, can you PM or E-Mail me the pic or link, I hate missing some good profanity.

BTW, I thought these threads were going to be closed right off the bar from now on?