Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why so many "y's" in band names?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by courderoy guy, Dec 20, 2004.

1. I've notyced a trend among predominantly locyl bands to put the lettyr Y in their names instead of other letters? Y? I'm sorry for anyone yn a band wyth a Y in their name, but I think it's an automatic sign of a band I'll probably nyt see. If you're in a band such as this, what do you think the Y adds to the name? I'm seryous about thys....it's been bugging me for years.

AKA: metyl death
    wyzard
    hot musyk
    etc.

2. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
  3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I feel the same way about numbers.

4. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    As well as the use of the superfluous "z" in place of an "s" at the end of a word. That makes me sad, in a "man, people are really stupid" kind of way.

5. Believe me, you don't want to know. Once you see the truth you are never the same again.

6. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    WYLD STALLYNS!!

[​IMG]

7. sean_seanson

sean_seanson

Jul 14, 2004
  8. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    They are copying: Lynyrd Skynyrd

9. Y'z r 5UP3R L337 y0!!!!11!!!1!!!1!!

10. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    Wow - I thought that kind of thing had ended with the death of '80s hair metal. If your local bands start using more than 3 umlauts (thösë littlë döts) per word, move town.

Linguists call it the "Scary 'Y'" effect*. Majyck is much scarier than plain old magic and vampyres beat up weedy little vampires for their lunch money. Wyzyrds are more mystyckal than wizards. There is of course an exception which proves the rule: Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds" is much scarier than The Byrds...

*maybe. If they're cunning, they do.

11. No way Ray... Ever seen David Crosby on a coke binge?

12. "Y"s are the new "Z". Z is so played out. Some got a little hasty a few years back with all XXtheXX "x" s all over the place...and that is played out too.

I predict "Q" will be the new "Y" in '06 Wiquid Pissah...Elmuh Fudd stylie.

13. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I was thinking the same thing a while ago, but I think it would be a straight up Q with no U. How's this: The Qrossdressers?

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Beat me to it... they started the trend.

15. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio