1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why so much fuzz in the world?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by T-boneParish, Oct 13, 2019.

1. T-boneParish

T-boneParish

Sep 7, 2016
    Austin, TX
    Why are there so many fuzz/distortion/overdrive pedals in the world?
    Every pedal company makes them. Most pedal companies make several.
    You see them every day on craigslist and ebay and this site. There are even more in the guitar world.
    I bet a quarter of all pedals in circulation fall into this category.
    Why is so much of the pedal world devoted to making clean sounds dirty?

2. It's the most used effect there is, perhaps with some competition with compression. I mean basically every single album made in the last 40 years had some sort of distortion or overdrive on it.

HolmeBass and hintz like this.
  3. Distortion limits dynamic range and adds sustain. Some feel it covers up mistakes. So really, distortion is for bad musicians to sound better.

(If I put my tongue any further into my cheek, I will be arrested for making lewd gestures in public.)

4. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    It's not like every fuzz pedal sounds exactly the same. There are lot's of different flavors and nuance, so everyone is trying to build and buy their grail.

5. T-boneParish

T-boneParish

Sep 7, 2016
    Austin, TX
    "Musicians: if you're searching for a fresh new sound... Go clean!"

6. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Dirty. Mmmmmmm.

Datsgor likes this.
  7. ThingsAbove

ThingsAbove

Jul 11, 2011
    I thought this was gonna be about rat fur on cabs.

8. T-boneParish

T-boneParish

Sep 7, 2016
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, the title could take this conversation in a lot of different directions!

9. I have no dog in this fight...

...having said that, it reminds me of a guitarist & really good friend I used to play with. This guy did/does absolutely rule! Incredibly gifted musician. I joined a band he was in around...2001? He had a Mesa Dual Rectifier half-stack, a couple killer axes, &...an effects rack system that would've made a NASA engineer blush. All high-end, well respected stuff.

After 3 practices of him complaining he was having trouble dialing in a usable tone, I'd had enough. I walked over without saying a word, unplugged his guitar from his rack, unplugged his rack from his amp, plugged his guitar straight into his amp, & walked back to my rig. He kinda looked at me like he'd caught me hoisting a bag of puppies over the side of a bridge, but I just said "Try it now." The difference was huge! "There it is, man! There it is."

Really? I'm shocked...

He had all the effects (except his wah) sold within 4 months...:D:D

10. One of the things I've been conscious to do on both guitar and bass is start small in any band and build out effects from there. I'm certainly not anti-effect. But if you start with layers of effects, you'll never know where you went wrong.

11. To be fair, with a Dual Rec, you're not exactly wanting for sweet distortion sounds in the first place.

Impermanence, bobunit, MDBass and 4 others like this.
  12. ^^100%, every word!
    That's what I told him! "Dude, you have a Mesa...a MESA!"

Seashore likes this.
  13. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Gallia Celtica
    I think it's because of him. He's also responsible for ultra-light string gauges and endless solos in the world of lute players, among other things. ;)

[​IMG]

14. bass4more

bass4more Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Oakland, CA
    Isn't fuzz one of these easiest circuits to build?

15. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    From what I have seen, the majority of guitarist don't have a very good handle on how to dial in their effects. It's quite possible some of the pedals on his pedal board would have been extremely useful, if he just had a clue how to set them up and properly layer them.

One of my favorite guitar OD pedals is a Boss BD2. Funny thing is I hardly ever use it by itself, and when I do it's just on the edge of breakup. What I have found is the BD2 stacks really well after pretty much every other OD on my board.

16. Well said (as usual!). I don't mess with effects much, but after skulking around these pages for years before joining, I have learned that where something is placed in the chain is more important than what is in the chain. Not to mention effects loop vs straight in...blah, blah.

What's ironic, (considering the title of this thread) is that after 30 years, I'm starting to come around to having a lil' dirt now & then! :laugh:

Wasnex and bass4more like this.
  17. Felix1776

Felix1776 Supporting Member

The correct question is why, with near infinite options for fuzz and OD, is it so hard to find one you like and stick with it?

rtav, HolmeBass, SunByrne and 3 others like this.
  18. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    Because DOOOOOOOM!!!

Actually, I’m moving away from the pedal fascination myself. But a Dunwich Wizard Fuzz is very gnarly, both for guitar and bass.

But I prefer a cranked tube amp with flats.

19. After playing my Malekko B:Assmaster at band practice the other week, beats me!
    I do love other fuzz pedals though, effects in general are too much fun to play around with not to experiment!

20. T-boneParish

T-boneParish

Sep 7, 2016
    Austin, TX
    I don't know what this is, but I LOVE it!