1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why some bassists who play metal do not play a Fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lucho.Metal, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucho.Metal

Lucho.Metal Banned

Apr 16, 2010
    Why some bassists who play metal do not play a Fender?

2. Because they don't want to?

3. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    How is babby formed?

4. why should they play a fender?

-RTK

5. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Banned

Mar 29, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    I play metal, and I have never gone near a Fender. They are not my favorite by a longshot. My Spector NS4CR with the P-J pickup config will out-power a Fender bass anyday. If I was forced to play a Fender, I would EMG it up, taking the Fender attributes away from the get-go.
    The only positive I can see about a Fender bass for metal is the fast neck action. Again, I'll still put my Spector up there, and it's a neck-through.
    Why am I replying to this? This thread is stupid...

6. Because there are T-birds, Ric's, BC Rich's, ESP's, Deans, Spectors, Tobias', Scheckters, and about a hundred other brands that individual players prefer, and are just as suitable for metal....?....

7. jarrhead

jarrhead

May 23, 2009
    Because a Fender, in my opinion, sounds like proper s*** in the mix. I prefer the cut I get from soapbar pickups. I hate jazz and precision pickups. I can't play comfortably with them, nor do I like the sound. I get the great sound from soapbar pickups and the comfort and looks of them. I like to get CUT from my bass. Sadly, Fender's can't do this like Laklands and Spectors. A Fender is not comfortable to me in the weight/balance factor either.

I love the weight/balance of spectors and Laklands. Even though the necks are so radically different, I love them both. I dislike a Fender neck. I dislike the weird feel of the action on the Fender. I love the unique feel of action on laklands.. Much more spectors. I like the have more onboard options, and I've tried a Jazz with an Aguilar OBP-3, which I use in my Lakland now. They just don't go together.

Finally, I'll close it off with a REALLY good bassist playing in my favorite metal band.

/thread

8. Fenders always lacked the "balls" and clarity that I like in my sound.

9. jarrhead

jarrhead

May 23, 2009
    Did you say clarity? Yeah, Spectors give balls, clarity, and cut.

You get a GREAT example starting at 0:20

10. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I play a Fender Precision and Carvin B4. I'll use my Schecter CV-5 occasionally. I wouldn't mind a Rickenbacker either.

One of the most appropriate sounding basses I used was a Schecter Stiletto Custom 4. It worked beautifully for my metal / hard rock uses and drop tunings. It just sounded like utter crap out of the mix. ;)

11. Time Consumer

Time Consumer

Jan 27, 2008
    Joliet Ill.
    Ooh! I hope I love my lakand as much as you do, im gettin one friday, ironically, my current bass is a spector, nice.

On topic, yeah, fenders are boring, I know looks aren't the first thing to look at when it comes to an instrument, but fenders are just too standard for me. If I can get the sound I want out of something with a nice look, thats what I'll get.

12. jarrhead

jarrhead

May 23, 2009
    I love it.

Funny, Mine's a lakland 55-01. I'm saving up for a USA Spector 5er. This will take years! lol.

13. Time Consumer

Time Consumer

Jan 27, 2008
    Joliet Ill.
    Yep, thats the one im gettin, lol, I hope I like it out of the gate cuz I dont yet have the capitol to upgrade all the electronics yet, I liked what I was hearing when I tried one out so it should be ok stock.

14. jarrhead

jarrhead

May 23, 2009
    Well mine is upgraded with an Aguilar OBP-3.
    I once had a Fender. I just loved the lakies and spectors much more.

15. What's Fender >.>

16. Time Consumer

Time Consumer

Jan 27, 2008
    Joliet Ill.
    Nice, I was looking at preamps just in case, so the aguilar has controls for 5 pots like the bart preamps? (sorry for threadjacking, but this is a dumb thread anyway)

17. jarrhead

jarrhead

May 23, 2009
    Lol. PMing you. I pretty much murdered the thread anyhow.

18. jarrhead

jarrhead

May 23, 2009
    The very first bass ever made.

19. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    They need to do way instain mother.

20. I really don't know why. Fenders are obviously the best bass for metal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.