Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

why some Fender is expensive?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Coleman, Aug 2, 2003.

1. Coleman

Coleman

Oct 13, 2001
    Hong Kong
    fender bass have different model eg.vintage, standart, article, deluxe, and custom!

why some cheap and expensive?is different from wood, pickup or what?

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Some of them, like the jaco pastorius "relic" model are hand built(not entirely) and have a lot of work put into them, so part of the price is from the extra labor, but also many of the higher end models have better pickups and electronics, thus resulting in a couple hundred dollars more.

Also, a lot of the artist models cost more simply because they are artist models, when they have a big name sponser they can afford to price it a little higher because a lot of people will buy it based on the name and not the playability or sound(though all the artist models I've played have been great)

Some fenders are recreations of vintage fenders of old, so they price them a little higher because vintage fenders are very valuable, and their recreations capture some of the essence of why they are valuable.

those are some other reasons, I don't know that much about fenders in general so I'm sorry I can't help anymore, but I'm sure someone will be able to give you some more insight.

3. Deluxe usually means active electronics. Instead of 1 tone knob, you have individual pots for bass, mid, and treble. Other things change too, for example the American deluxe has a smaller body and headstock, noiseless pickups, etc.

A bass made in the US (American, American Deluxe, American Vintage) is generally a lot better than a bass made in Mexico (Standard, Deluxe, Classic I think). Better construction, better inspection of the final product, better parts, etc. Highway 1 basses are made in the US but have slighly downgraded parts and a satiny finish, so they're less expensive.

Vintage are basically recreations of older, much demanded models. Usually, they are built the way the old ones were, using the same materials, same pickups and parts, and vintage look.

Artist basses are mostly made in Japan, and are quite good. They usually recreate an artist's signature bass (ex. Sting, Geddy Lee, Jaco). Some are totally original, like Victor Bailey's and Roscoe Beck's.

Custom means Custom Shop. Custom shop basses are top of the line Fenders, made almost entirely by hand and by expert builders.

Hope that helps.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I think, if I'm not mistaken the Jaco "relic" model(not just the signature) is made in the custom shop.

good post btw. :)

5. Yep, the relic model is Custom Shop. There's an Artist series Jaco bass (which I mentioned) that's basically a fretless model of the time, made like his was. But the relic is scratched up and the fretboard is covered with epoxy to make it 100% identical. It's crazy. It's also thousands of dollars more expensive (I think the most expensive Fender model), but wow.

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I note you say "mostly," which is true. Unlike the others you cite, the Jaco Artist bass is, of course, made in the USA.

7. Demonfish22

Demonfish22

Jul 31, 2002
    Bath, England
    Why pay thousands extra for the Jaco Relic when you can just damage a Jaco Signature yourself and put epoxy down the fingerboard?

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    yeah basically.

I wonder if with the relic model they start with a fretted, wait a year (or however long it was till jaco took his frets off) then de fret it :D

then it would be even MORE authentic.

It also has screw holes from an old pick up ;)

9. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't there also holes from a "missing" pick guard??

10. Yeah, the Relic is 4400$, if I remember correctly. You might as well get the signature one, and scratch it yourself. The relic is a little better constructed, but it's not much of a difference. It's pretty much constructed like any other "relic" custom shop bass: scratched, worn out colors, worn out bridge/headstock, etc. Priced more for its novelty value, I guess.

And yeah, the relic has pickguard holes as well. It's weird, the artist one has no pickguard holes, yet it comes with a pickguard that you can install if you don't like the pickguardless look. Weird.

11. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Where does The Fender Jazz Special come into this lineup?

12. Great post. However, if I remember correctly, the Classics are MIJ.

13. Forgot this one... it's part of the "Deluxe" series. I don't think there's a Jazz Special, but there's a P-bass special which has P/J pickups. Basically P-bass pickups, with an added Jazz pickup near the bridge. I'm pretty sure they're Mexico, but from what I hear, the MIM Deluxe's are comparable to the MIAs.

And moptoptony, according to Fender, the 60's Jazz Bass "Classic" is made in Mexico. The Mustang classic looks Japanese though.

14. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Headstock sez....[​IMG]
    If unclear, I'll try to get a better pic. The description for the P-bass Special fits it, but it has a Jazz neck.

15. Demonfish22

Demonfish22

Jul 31, 2002
    Bath, England
    Can't make out what it says in the pic (I think looks like MIJ), but I'm significantly drunk, so don't trust my judgement.

16. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I'll post a better picture tomorrow. Drunk, eh? Wise choice...I'll join you! Goodnite.

17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    It clearly says "Jazz Bass Special".

18. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia

indeed

19. I've never seen a Jazz Bass Special... then again it could be an old model. What's the serial number, K627547? K's are 1990-1991, made in Japan. I guess they stopped making them. That headstock looked like the Aerodyne bass (http://www.fender.com/gear/gear.php?partno=0254500) but it just says "Fender Jazz Bass" on it and its a lot more recent (last year or so). So the Special Jazz is probably discontinued.

20. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Better shot...
    [​IMG] serial #E627552. Picture of the bass are in the Gallery.