1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

why some people hate 5 string basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChefGus4u2, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChefGus4u2

ChefGus4u2

Sep 21, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Ok, I don' want to create a lot of controversy but I have to ask to you guy why I see so many post of people taking bad about 5 string basses?
    I even saw people using the word HATE!!!:scowl:
    I don't understand why????:meh::confused: I can understand that some people get a 5 strings just because it look cool, I did, when i start to play. but now i really use it a lot because I play Metal. I took the decision of get a 5 strings because it would give me more versatility and yes, because it look cool. is this wrong??? I don't think so! but them again why so many people hate it in TB? I just want to head some reason to be able to understand their point of view (no that I'm going to change my, I love my SR705 :D) but I want to know!!!:confused:
    sorry for my english, it is no my first language
    AND THANK EVERY BODY!!!!!

2. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    They have their place. One of those places is in my hands. I love that thunderous low B.

3. Stringus envy.

4. Mulebagger

Mulebagger

Dec 12, 2007
    poppin in the corn belt
    Endorsing Artist: Zon Guitars, Tsunami Cables, DR Strings, GK
    My 5 string is the first one I grab for a gig.

Love 4 and 6 string basses, but the 5er just makes a lot of sense.

5. BananaKing

BananaKing Supporting Member

May 15, 2008
    Vancouver, B.C.
    I use a 5 and a 6 string bass quite a bit, but also love my 4s.

Anyone who hates on them really needs to find a new hobby.

6. Jon_West

Jon_West

Jan 8, 2009
    GTA, Ontario
    5s / 4s, fenders / boutiques, electrics / UBs, people will always find stuff to hate on eventually. Just let them be. :smug:

7. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    I'm a creature of habit. I started out in the late 70's with 4 strings. I tried a friend's once at a jam but it didn't feel natural. I'm sure I could get used to one, but I'm not one that needs to feel lows. I play more in the upper register to hear the notes, anyway. I don't hate 5-strings. I've never felt handicapped using four, or my 4+octaves 8-string. Everyone's got their own style. Enjoy!

X8

8. insecurity.
    5's are more difficult to play, but I like hitting two octaves from one position. conversely after you get used to a 5, playing a 4 is easy as heck due to the wider string spacing.

9. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    I think the issue stems from some 5 stringers using the B string a bit too much. A fiver becomes a bit annoying, at that point. I've seen guys play every song using the B string, regardless of whether it's supposed to be in the song or not. Just because it's there, isn't a good enough reason to use it constantly.

10. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    Because they either grew up using a 4 string only, or they grew up watching their favorite bassist(s) use a 4 string only. Or maybe they're just stubborn.
    I use a 5 and a 4 string btw, just because.

11. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    The low-B fundamental (and extended lower range is the only reason I bought a five) is problematic for many/most amplification combinations, I don't like the added weight or the typical string spacing and neck dimensions.

On the whole, I pretty much regret getting a five.

12. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    it's pretty simple. People are most comfortable with what they know and what they are used to. They find new things threatening if for no other reason than it clearly represents the possibility of doing some work. Let's face it. Hard work pays off later. Laziness pays off right now!

And 4 string basses are "traditional". So if your music is likewise "traditional" you will not encounter any difficulties with a 4 string bass. Add to this the fact that a great many 4 string players really don't understand how to play a 5 or more string bass. They think it's all about a few extra notes. The concept of transposing into any key all over the neck (both up and down and side to side) of the "n" string bass goes right over their heads. And add to that what is often a lifetime of playing a very thin 4 string neck like you are grabbing a ball bat instead of placing your thumb on the backside where the width of the neck start to not matter so much and you have some serious resistance to change.

So what do humans do when change is suggested and it makes them uncomfortable? Well, they start making all manner of excuses as to why they CAN'T do something new and why doing it is totally BAD anyway. Bottom line: you stay nice and comfy where you are. Now if where you are fits what you are doing, that's not a bad thing. But usually when someone suggests change people feel obliged to start making excuses for why they are NOT on board the bandwagon. But instead of telling the turth: I"m not interested. My music doesn't need it. They feel compelled to justify it other ways: Jaco only needed 4 strings.

At least that is my take on the question of "real" basses.

* All "real" basses have 5 or more strings.

13. I use fives exclusively, not because I hate others, but because it is what I need to get the job done. I need the low D and C quite a bit.

lowsound

14. ChefGus4u2

ChefGus4u2

Sep 21, 2008
    Philadelphia
    that makes so much sense!!!! that has to be the reason!!!!! thank men!!

Thanks everybody!!!!

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Yup. Haters need to stop worrying about what other people play.

After 20 years of four bangin', I switched to five and haven't looked back. Fiver isn't for everyone, but it works best for me.

16. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I play a 4 because I don't need or want 5. Is that wrong? No. I don't care if you need or want 5, either, go ahead, doesn't bother me. But don't tell me that I stick to 4 because I'm too scared or I'm not good enough. You can just keep extending that argument until the only "real" basses have 8 strings, or n strings. It's nonsensical. Why can't everyone get along?

17. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    That's just a dumb as the four string argument.

18. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    I feel a rebuttal on the horizon. Not from me, I'm too lazy!

:) X8

19. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    Same reason some people hate certain genres of music or sushi... they just don't get it

20. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Extended range is what initially attracted me to five, but I eventually realized that a bigger advantage (for me) is having a full two octave range at each fingering position. I play the low B string above low E more often than below.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.