Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why static?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fenderbassabuse, Dec 13, 2004.

1. I am using Seymour Duncan hot for jazz bass in my MIM jazz. I'm very happy with them, however...

When I take my hands of any metal (control plate, bridge or strings) I get a real annoying static buzz. I can deal with high gain hums, like with a disgusting amount of greasy fuzz, but not static.

How do I eradicate this, oh pickup forum gods??

Many thanks

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    static buzz? I'm a bit at a loss to understand how this differs from high gain hums. Perhaps you could describe it a bit more?

In the meantime, all the usual things apply. Check your grounding and make sure it is all there and connected well. Also, shielding is VERY important. Many bass manufacturers don't shield their pickup cavities and control cavities, but one of the best ways of eliminating noise is through proper shielding of ALL electronic cavities in the bass.

3. When I say static, I mean the sort of buzz that is crackly. It only happens when I take my hands off the stings or bridge or even control plate.

Where can I get a shielding kit from? If I can't get a kit, what should I use instead? I have checked all my wiring and it is fine.

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    I'm in the US. I'm not sure what is the best source in England.

Stewart-MacDonald offeres shielding supplies, but I don't know whether or not they accept international orders.

I have also been told by a luthier, that copper foil tape is available from anyone that sells supplies for creating stained glass.

5. opivy3056

opivy3056 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    My jazz bass does the same thing! When you play and you have your hands on it, it just has normal single coil hum...but when you take your hands off it gets static and really loud.

Proper sheilding with that copper stuff inside the bass would probably help, I plan on doing that really shortly.

grey skull

6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Shielding has done wonders for all my basses. I can't promise that it will solve all of your problems, but it is fairly inexpensive to do often does solve these problems.

If using the copper foil tape, make sure that you remember to attach it to a ground wire. Shielding won't work if it isn't grounded. Also, if the tape does not have a conductive adhesive then try to minimize overlap and be sure to solder all of the piece together. I'm pretty sure that the stuff StewMac sells has a conductive adhesive.

You can also use a conductive paint instead of the foil. Stew Mac sells this also. Again, remember that you need it to make contact with a ground wire for it to be effective.

Good luck.

7. My P bass is now totally silent. I found some info on shielding on here, which put me on to another site, (Guitarnuts) and I have made the beast quiet. Now to get to that Jazz bass...

8. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Glad to hear it. Now if only we could get all instrument manufacturers to just shield the instruments when they build them.