Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why the are so many TB'ers so defensive?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ras1983, Aug 8, 2005.

1. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    For the sake of harmony, why is it that any who posts any sort of differeing opinion on TB gets attacked or flamed?

Can't you guys loosen up a little?

Why must you take everything as an insult?

Why must you challenge the OPINIONS of other TB'ers?

Example: i posted on a thread about buying a lakland or a yamaha in malaysia, and i told the original poster to test out a lakland incase he didn'e like them. my wording was " what someone else likes, you might think is rubbish" in reference to the lakland being purchased directly without any testing. i personally like lakland products, but what if the original poster finds that it isn't his thing after shelling ot his/her hard earned $$ on a bass he/she hasn't actually played?

Anyway, someone else posted accusing me of calling the lakland garbage, when infact i was simply making a theoretical point to the original poster that he/she may think that the lakland is garbage after they buy it WITHOUT trying it first. (this is sort of beside the point anyway).

You know what EVERYONE on TB, we are all adults, and we are entitled to our own opinions. But, Please read posts carefully befre making unfounded statements about the opinions of other TB'ers. :)

BTW, if it wasn't for TB'ers there would be no TB.

Edit: i just realised that i am setting a bad example by writing this post... but i just had to post it. :)

Edit II: Fretless5verfan, laklands are indeed nice basses. i was VERY impressed by a 44-01 i played this week.

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    we not are defensive piss orf! :D

3. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU'RE NOT DEFENSIVE??????!!!!!!!!! HOW DARE YOU ARGUE WITH ME YOU ************ ************ ****** **** ***********!!!!!!!!!!

:spit:

EDIT: For the Americans, this is just Aussie humour.

4. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    I think it's all relative. If you want to see a hellhole go visit the ampeg board....eeek!

5. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    I would have thought that TB would be the worst, simply beacuse there are som many people from different backgrounds, age groups, preferences to brands... guess i was wrong.

6. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Actually, we're not. Maybe that's the problem.

7. the way i see it, people don't like to hear that some people disagree with them, so they get defensive because they want everyone to agree with him/her

8. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    Not everyone at TB are adults, nor do they act like it :rolleyes:
    There are a lot of teenagers and others of varying experience. Don't expect too much. There are adults with varying degrees of maturity as well, so you know what you're getting into when you post. It's a risk you take. :D

If Countries can't always get along, or married people, you're kinda pressed to expect civil behaviour on an internet forum. It can be the ultimate weapon for inciting malicious rebuttal.

Hope for the best and be prepared for the worst. :bassist:

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I tend to agree, but find this attitude very strange - one of the contradictions of being an adolescent, methinks...;)

So - wanting to be "different", by being the same as all your contemporaries!! :D

As in - I got a piercing/tatoo/whatever, to be different - just like all my friends.... :p

Personally, I never expect people to agree with me and I think it would be a very dull world - not to say forum, if everybody agreed with everybody else - in fact every forum would be full of nothing but "+1" ....;)

Why would you want to read that?

10. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I've seen countries invaded for less. :bag:

11. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Neither do we Bruce, neither do we.

12. Bruce Lindfield

That's a good thing - that's what defines character and personality - if you hold the same opinions, experience and ideas as everybody else, then what use are you!! ?? ;)

Of course the point is that many people posting here have no defined personality of their own, as they are still growing and don't really know who they are yet!

Whereas a few of us decided this long, long ago..... :D

13. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    That cool, it takes time to understand our own personalities and opinions. I just wish that people would get a fair chance to express them.

14. Bruce Lindfield

Well - I've had nearly 19k posts to express mine....:D

15. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    ... and they're still wrong!

;)

16. Bruce Lindfield

How can my personality be "wrong" !!?? :confused:

17. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Your opinions, Bruce...

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The thing is... this is a bassist forum, so there are a few reasons.

- We are talking about bass (primarily) and it's clearly something we all feel passionate about, so we are going to express our opinions strongly.

- The internet gives people the ability to somewhat anonomously fight with someone online.

- A bulk of the crowd is immature, mostly because a bulk of the crowd is 16 and under. (I know, there are some mature youngin's)

- A bulk of the crowd is immature, 17 and older.

Take everything on here with a grain of salt, there is pointless bickering but it's mostly in good fun. I mean, there have been people that in certain threads I've gone to war with, but then in another thread at the same time, we'll be having a lovely chat about something we totally agree on, and on that thread, we pretend like the other thread doesn't exsist, and visa versa.

19. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Exactly. It's not like we take it all personal. I call people out all the time and people call me out. I'm bored at work, it gives me something to do. If we didn't argue and it was all harmony, the place would be god damn boring.