Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why the bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pixiefemme, Mar 2, 2002.

1. Pixiefemme

Pixiefemme

Jan 23, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Why did you decide to play the bass and not the guitar? For some reason, the sales assistant at the music store kept pushing me to play the guitar instead... so i'm just wondering. Why bass?

2. because bass is just better and more fun instrument to play :p

3. Good question. I don't know why. I guess because I'd rather be the guy who keeps everyone together than the over-cocky lead guitarist.

4. what odd man said

i was mostly introduced to the bass by my grade 8 teacher, he taught me the bassics, and i';ve just kept with it.

5. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    You don't have to be a lead guitarist to be overly-cocky. :D

6. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Well, i started playing music on the sax, so i was good at playing within chords and not just playing straight chords. In that sense, bass is more like the sax that the guitar is.

Also, I played the tenor sax. While it isn't quite as low as the bass, its closer to the bass than guitar in pitch.

Travis

7. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Started because my friend's band wanted a bassist. Kept playing because it sounds better than guitar.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Because I can't stand those whiney little noises coming out of a guitar! I really enjoy lower register sounds, from bass and timpani drums to bass. And, Bass seemed more fun than drums. It's all about the thud baby!

9. My dad got my into bass ukulele then when turned 12 bass ukulele became very uncool so I decided to play something more popular and bass guitar and bass ukulele sounded similar so...

10. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Well, the bass and the guitar are two different instruments, so you may as well ask why the bass and not the oboe.

:D

Actually guitar playing is why I started bass. I was watching a Cream video to watch Clapton play and when they played Crossroads I was mesmerized by Jack Bruce. I still play guitar, as do a lot of bassists, so the two aren't mutually exclusive.

Oh, and because the electric bass is the best instrument there is to play. :)

11. Jimmy_K

Jimmy_K

Mar 2, 2002
    England UK
    because there is more substance to the bass sound and something so organic about it...and also because I dont know what I'm talking about:)

12. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    What I'm wondering...why didn't you haul off and kick this
    "sales assistant" where it counts?

Was his 'suggestion' based on the fact that you might be a
    person of small stature? I guess Mr. Know-It-All was either
    a) a guitarist or b) never heard of Steinbergers or short scale
    basses.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I actually heard this, no lie.

"If you got a small heiney, go for the Steiny"

:confused:

Sales people scare me....

14. 72beetle

72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I'm with you - I started on tenor sax, moved to bari sax (what a beast THAT was to march with), and then straight to bass.

I spoze in order to keep the progression going (deeper and deeper bass tones), I should pick up the didgeridoo sometime.

15. The first time I kind of knew what a bass was in middle school; my friend played it. Just went back to playing my trombone. The first time I noticed the bass on recordings was on some of my brother's CDs- I remember him talking about Twiggy in Marilyn Manson, and then finally, I heard Mr. Geezer Butler. I liked Tony Iommi's guitar playing, too, but the bass sounded like a lot of fun, and all rumbly, low, and manly. I started looking for the bass in all the music I listened to. I wish I had taken it up then instead of several years later, but I do have some advantage- I've been playing brass for a while now, and I have some theory under my belt and most importantly, have a better idea how to practice effectively.

16. John Entwistle is, in my humble opinion, the coolest guy on stage. Playing his "instrument" like a maniac, but not showing a single emotion on his face. So, I just had to be like him!

Another reason, everyone plays guitar. I have 4 friends who do. I was never attracted to it. The bass, however, was something special. It spoke to me it weird ways. Aside from Entwistle, I was just drawn to it. I really can't explain. It's one powerfull instrument...

17. plbassman

plbassman

Mar 2, 2002
    Milwaukee WI
    I play because it's what I melodically 'hear' best in any music I have heard or played.

It's a gas making other really good musicians, and some not so good ones, stand out above a tight rythm section.

It's a gas working with a drummer to really make poeple (onstage and off) dance, sway, nod - whatever!

18. i play the bass because the pheramones in my body got attracted to bass tones and basically sub-concsciouly zombie'd me to it.

19. I play bass because I hear countermelodies in my head when I listen to any piece of music, and bass is what you play if you're into that.

I also love the visceral pleasure of hitting a low D and feeling my lungs get pushed back a few millimeters.

20. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Cos it's the one instrument that goes through thick walls. (This is important if you have noisy neighbors.)