1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why the 'D' String?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by bassist1962, Jun 22, 2014.

1. I have noticed a lot of threads asking about trying new strings, with the advice of trying a 'D' string. Why this particular string? Sound, tension, or are there other reasons?

2. MikeCanada

MikeCanada

Aug 30, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I don't follow as many string threads, but I am guessing that the advice is given with the intention of "try a D string, and if you like it, go with the rest of the set". The D on most basses tends to be the one that "works" best on most basses. You can play it from top to bottom to see what the attack, tone, volume, feel is like, if it is muddy in the lower register, nasal in the higher register etc. which will (hopefully) give you a decent impression of how those particular strings will work on the rest of your bass. Chances are the surrounding A and G will behave similarly on the bass, so it's a safer/cheaper option of testing strings than getting a whole set. If you like the D, then getting an A and G of the same string is another good option, and based on how much you like the lower one, you can decide if you want to continue with a full set, or try something different on the bottom. Everything the same the whole way across works well on some basses, and really doesn't on others.

That's my guess, and would be the general process I would go through.

SeamzKing likes this.
  3. Thanks Mike. I am looking at trying Evahs or Zyex as a more mellow alternative to the Spiros and needed to know what to look for in buying one string v an entire set.

4. MikeCanada

MikeCanada

Aug 30, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    You are basically looking at one string, and making an educated guess as to how the rest of them will perform. If you are one of the few bassists that doesn't keep a drawer somewhere full of your old strings, make sure you keep your bottom Spiro. It is a very common choice to put a Spirocore underneath just about anything on top.

Best of luck.

iiipopes likes this.
  5. Sean Riddle

Sean Riddle Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Ventura, California
    If you want mellow, go for the Evahs. I'm currently using a Spiro on the bottom and Zyex on the top. It's a nice set up, but the Zyex are no where near being as mellow as the Evahs. I've played a bass strung with a Spiro E and Evah A, D, and G. A very nice combo that I would recommend for your wants.

6. I was originally looking at the blended Spirogato set from Upton.but after hearing/reading about all the problems with roll under the bow, I decided to try something else. Evahs seem to be the next recommended. I currently using Spiro weichs, would Evah weichs be a good match, or would I have to switch to mittles for the Spiro's? recommendations?

7. Sean Riddle

Sean Riddle Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Ventura, California
    I don't know whether to go weich or mittel, but the Spiro on bottom and Evah on top should be great. Evahs are great with a bow and Spiro E and A are pretty powerful with a bow. The tension balance should be pretty even for arco and pizzicato

8. MikeCanada

MikeCanada

Aug 30, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    If you check out a few of the Evah Megathreads, they will likely have a general consensus for you. The Mittel feels more like bridge cable and the Weich feels more like Mittel if memory serves, but I could be confusing that with a different string.

9. ^^^ My experience exactly.

10. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    The Spiro 3/4 light E string, part number 3885.5W, is one of the best and most versatile E strings ever made, and greatly neglected compared to the 4/4 S42 variants.