1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why the devaluing of Music Man's VIA TB classifieds...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 9M2E, Feb 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 9M2E

9M2E

Dec 6, 2011
    Lockport, NY
    So...What gives with the Music Mans? I am die hard M.M. for life and with the cutting of the color selections you would think used music mans would hold their classic resale value of about 1k... but things seem to be going the other way. People are having to practically give them away, I had to sell an sb35 for $325 after trying to sell for months. I see posts for under $800 for SR4's and Sterlings...which not too long ago would be flat out NUTS!!! Now I am dying for a US sterling 5 and would personally gain from this climate f I had the cash to buy BUT thought id get the ball rolling on discussing the downfall of their resale value.

spaz21387 likes this.
  2. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    It's not just Music Man, used prices are down everywhere. Supply and demand, there's a glut of used instruments available and buyers have options. I love EBMM basses and own four of them, but it's just a tough time to be a seller.

3. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Your answer is right in your post. So many people are trying to recoup funds nobody has money to buy. Its a self perpetuating cycle down. The only people selling are those willing to take the biggest hit just to move something.
    Buyers market across the board.
    Makes for hard times to make money.

4. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Has this devaluation really occurred? I've seen tons of Rays and Sterlings selling for less than $1K here for years now. I would like to see some data to prove what has actually happened, rather than anecdotes, but I doubt we're going to see that.

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Do you actually think we control the market?

Used Rays have been generally selling for under $1000 as long as I can remember.

6. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    It's a conspiracy. I blame the Illuminati.

7. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    I paid a grand for one, which was maybe more than I should have, but It was the only two band for sale at the time, and the others were like 9. I don't think that is too bad of depreciation at all, actually, only about 1/3.

9M2E likes this.
  8. 9M2E

9M2E

Dec 6, 2011
    Lockport, NY
    Well I was just going by what I have noticed as my time as a member and the prices seem to be more consistently low on them. And the "US models" usually don't suffer as badly but are starting to fall to the half of purchase price point. I could be wrong but it seemed as if they were suffering more than other brands on the boards.

drlndrve likes this.
  9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I agree with @muggsy in that it is market wide. Times are tough it seems. Lots of basses are sitting in the classified section for weeks. Another example
    I have noticed in Roscoe Beck Signature basses. A couple years ago, if one of those showed up for $1,500-$1,600 it was gone in seconds. Not any more.

But we could all probably list a particular kind of bass we follow.

Short version: It isn't just MM basses. The used market is flooded right now and people don't seem to have the cash they did a few years ago.

10. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I paid top dollar for mine in there and I love it ! I'd do it again in a heart beat .If you find a sweet deal all the better.

FlatwoundFunk and 9M2E like this.
  11. GregC

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    The part I bolded: Maybe this is because MM has raised its prices pretty recently?

MobileHolmes and JackANSI like this.
  12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Don't forget that foreign markets are plummeting/America is finally recovering financially.

If somebody had the data I bet the sales drop right in line with the Canadian dollar. I know I pretty much stopped importing things.

Waltsdog likes this.
  13. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA

Nah. If I had to guess, 98% of sales of used basses here in the classified section of TB have always stayed right here, if nothing else because most are unwilling to deal with shipping hassles. "America" has not recovered from anything, other than a couple blocks in NYC. ;) If we had as a whole, basses would be flying all over the place out of our classified section.

14. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Bingo.

15. GregC

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Disagree, and there's plenty of actual data about the recovery that goes beyond those couple blocks in NYC.;) As has been discussed in other threads on this topic, there are plenty of other factors beside the economy that can and probably have affected sales of used bass guitars. Start with the aging of the population, the growing popularity of genres that don't use electric basses that much (if at all), the growth of the MI industry during the previous decade that has arguably resulted in oversupply today, etc.

FWIW, I listed two fairly pricey basses for sale in mid-January (both in the $1500-$1700 range) and sold both within 10 days. Got my asking price on one and within a single-digit percentage on the other. Now that is just an anecdote...

Michedelic, twistd, petrus61 and 3 others like this.
  16. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Supply and demand. The market is flooded with them right now. I was looking through the classifieds earlier and saw at least hald a dozen bongos and stingrays in the first few pages. Buyers can just wait out the deal they want.

I got my classic ray used in 2013 for 1200 from GC and I still consider that a steal considering the condition it was in and they're over 2k brand new.

I got a SR5 with matching headstock brand new for 1450 including shipping and case last month. buying that from Canada also helped a ton as well.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    FlatwoundFunk likes this.
  17. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I think it's pretty normal for demand to dip in the period right after Christmas, anyway. A lot of people are just tapped out right after Christmas. And/or if they were thinking of getting a new bass, they got it for Christmas.

Jim Carr and Okstatefan like this.
  18. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    How 'bout you and I agree to disagree ans stay pals? No need to open that can of worms. We'll just leave it at we have observed to different kinds of recoveries. And the truth is probably somewhere in between.

19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

There's a small market of players that will spend a lot of money on an instrument these days. The rest......we'll just wait it out for an affordable one to come along. I personally think the price of some of these instruments posted here and elsewhere are insane. But that's just me. I'd rather build my own or find one at a good price. A US MM under $1k is pretty desirable.

20. TripleDouble

TripleDouble Guest

Aug 5, 2008
    It seems a lot of MM players/fans like them to be pristine and buy them new. A 10 or 12 year old, regular-ish SR4 with dings has very little novelty-appeal, nor vintage exclusivity or whatever. Generalizing (again, as usual), but Music Man folks seem to be pretty into new finish options too.

I've noticed it has become much, much harder to flip things in the past 2-3 years, and have actually been unlucky the Canadian dollar is so bad right now, as I've been able to sell off a number of extra things I had and not take a hit. I too think there's just too much used gear now.

MobileHolmes likes this.