Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why the differance in power..!!! ??...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ZenBass, Nov 20, 2003.

1. This is prolly a dumb question to ask but noone really can give me a straight answer...

Why do some 300w heads sound significantly louder than other 300w heads...

I have been playing through lotsa different head rencently and have had a EBS HD-350 on loan as a test trial....

Not only is this amp significantly louder than any other 300w head ive tried but it is possbly louder than most 500w heads ive tried.. i know Watts arent the only form of power rating...

The EBS has a MOSFET pre-amp and i know this has sumthin to do with the huge output...

Any info would be great..

Cheers...

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Some 150W bass heads sound like the can only put out 100W, like a cheap ashton head i was going to buy. But then, you go to the other music shop, and another brand (lets say peavey, for arguments sake) have a head for sale, they claim its 150W and all the same features as the previous head, but it sounds a hell of alot louder.

Why? Yes, some manufacturers lie to sell more (Ashton) and some under-rate themselves (Peavey). In my experience, peavey do this alot. Weather or not its a good or a bad thing, i dont know, ill let you decide ;) There are alot fo technical reasons why this happens aswell, but the under-rating is the only one i actually understand :D

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    If a 300W head is putting out 50 watts and another happens to be putting 150 watts, guess which one will sound louder? The latter one, of course.

If a 250 HP car is traveling at 30 mph and another 250 HP car is traveling at 90 mph, which one is going faster? The latter one.

The bottom line: you're not using the full power of your amp all the time, just like you don't use the full power of your car all the time.

That's the main reason why different amps of the same power rating sound louder than others, although there are other influences as well.

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I think frequency response has a lot to do with it. I had an SWR SM900 for a while, and an Eden WT500, and the Eden was always louder. I believe at 8 ohms they were both pushing the same wattage.