1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why the difference?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GODSBASSMAN, Apr 25, 2010.

1. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    Why the difference in wiring a p bass vs a jazz when the 2 are both wired in series? P bass p/up hot goes to outside pot lug while the jazz goes to center, Why is this?

2. Jazz pickups are generally not in series in a standard jazz wiring scheme - they are in parallel.

Edit: Read this - it explains why it works the way it does. Basically, if you don't do it, a single volume will turn down the entire bass by shorting the output to ground. You want to short the pickup (input) to ground to turn off one pickup. It's to allow independent control of the two pickups.

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Electronics/Misc/i-4000/i-4000_4.html

3. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    Thanks. This is all realized. Good link, love Stew-mac. But my question is actually this: When a jazz bass IS wired in series with one volume pot that controls both, all the wiring diagrams I have seen show the pups soldered to the center lug of the volume pot versus the P bass (which is a series pup) is soldered to an outer lug. Why is this so?

4. People are probably too lazy to wire it right, so they just remove a volume pot from the circuit.

Where were you seeing wiring diagrams for series Jazz wiring with one volume?

That should be P bass wiring.

5. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    Well, let's put it a more honest way now that I can't find such diagrams. That is the way I have been doing it.
    OK, so renew and turn this question around, if I may. Perhaps there is a diagram for CORRECTLY wiring 2 Fatstacks in series and a dpdt push/pull for single coil to humbucking mode switching. The Fatstacks come with 1 white, 1 black and 1 red (sc/hb switching) wires. This p/p volume goes to tone pot goes to jack. Can you help a man do this right?

6. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

If you have the pups wired in series in your Jazz, it doesn't make any difference how you do the Volume pot - they will both change at the same time. EXCEPT - There is a sound difference between the way the pots are wired.

When the pups go the the end and the output is the center - the pups see a constant load across the pot. When the pups are wired to the center, the load varies as you rotate the pot. This all changes the way the pups sound.

Since Jazz basses are designed to be wired in parallel, there is only one way to wire the pots - Pup to the end and center out.

This is one reason for active circuits - the sound can be more consistent.

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    What about when putting a P pickup set (which is normally 2 halves in series) in place of the neck J pickup? Is the hot of the P set to go to the center or the outside pot lug? I'm interested because I'll be modifying a Carvin Bolt 4 passive bass kit very soon to put a P in place of the neck J, giving me a PJ bass.

8. This is completely wrong. The jazz pickups go to the wiper, not the end.

With a single volume, it doesn't matter; the equivalent circuit is the same.

Edit - just re-read Gio's post. I think he was talking about series jazz, not typical jazz wiring. With series jazz wiring, it doesn't matter as stated. The load the pot sees is the same in a single volume setup, with either wiring.

9. recnsci

recnsci

Apr 8, 2010
    No, connect it like it's normal J. That is, two P halves in series and "hot" end connected to wiper of neck volume pot. Connecting it like P-bass would not work.

cheerz