Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why the fascination with Fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr. Krinkle, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Mr. Krinkle

Mr. Krinkle

Aug 3, 2004
    I have noticed that a TON of people on this site play fender basses and everyone seems to love them. For some reason I just can't see the fascination with them. Any P bass I have heard recorded just sounded very dull and empty to me. I just can't get into the tone of them at all. But there is a problem. I have been playing a spector euro neck thru bass for a while and it's got great tone but it's almost too bright. I have almost no treble coming out of it just to avoid clipping from my amp. Also, I just got a peavey cirrus and I just can't get the sound I want out of it. It keeps sounding very honky to me. The best tone I have gotten out of a bass was from my Warwick SSII but unfortunaly I sold it to pay for school. I'm just getting very frustrated with tone and I'm thinking of giving fender another chance just because they seem to be the tried and true bass for a lot of people. I'll probably end up going with a jazz bass but I just wanted to see what people's opinions are on fenders and why so many people love them.

2. I too know the confusion one feels when all you seem to get is fender praise left and right. I am not very interested in their body shapes, and the tone is alright, though I've heard much better from many others. For the spector, have you considered an eq pedal? I've found that a lot of tone issues can be solves with a 99$ box. I'm not sure on any models in particular, but I know that there are many good one's out there

3. I use them because I think they sound right, feel right and look right.

4. P-Basses can have herculean tone, or dull tone... it all depends how they are amplified, attacked, etc....

BTW, if you are not into a "honkier" tone, why do you want a J-Bass?

5. Like every other brand of instruments, you like them or you don't. Some people swear by them, some wouldn't touch one with a 25 and a half foot pole. Just comes down to personal preference.

6. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    I don't know...when I first started out I hated Fender. Now that I'm more into playing I find Fenders being the only body shapes that seem real nice to me. I don't like all the exotic stuff that much or the crazy sharp body shapes. The Fender shapes are relatively unchanged since the 50's and are pretty timeless. My favorite ones are the few models without pickguards though. I wish they had more of those...some say they're too plain that way but I think they're beautiful in their simplicity.

Also Fenders seem to be the easiest things to customize to your liking because of all the aftermarket parts available to fit them. You can get mostly any sound you want out of them with a little experimentation, whereas some other brands tend to sound the same no matter what you do to them (as good or bad as that may be)

7. they're just THE basses, they just sound good. and theyre really customizable. no doubt there are better basses out there for the money, and fenders are a tad overpriced

8. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    First, I guess many people love Fenders respectfully to Leo Fender who 55 years ago invented what we are all talking about here : the electric bass. Fenders are definitely THE standard of electric bass.

Now one step beyond, take any good quality Fender, and no matter what music you play, the Fender will do the job.

Finally, if you still wonder why many people love Fender P basses, then why not listen to the Who's "Quadrophenia" album ? And if you're more into hard rock / heavy metal, then Steve Harris from Iron Maiden may help you understand...

Cheers
    Jay

9. Or Twiggy's work in A Perfect Circle, just to name a different style..

10. Mr. Krinkle

Mr. Krinkle

Aug 3, 2004
    Basically, because a lot of people seem to just love them and I'm assuming they know something I don't. I'm looking for a bass with a good slap tone and lots of bottom and I'm just kind of stuck. I happen to be a big 311 fan and P-Nut's slap tone in Come Original and What Was I Thinking is the epitome of the tone I'm looking for, as far as slapping. Then if you hear his tone in Outside, that's the fingerstyle tone I'm trying to get.

11. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    we've been through this many times. personally i would own a Fender just cuz. i mean... it's a Fender! sometimes i get unbearable GAS for Fenders and i don't even know why!

12. Uhh... I think you need a Warwick then..:eyebrow:

13. He plays Warwicks...isn't that the obvious starting point?

14. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I think it is just preference and, since they've been around for so long, many people feel that they're the standard/best because of loyalty and the amount of time they've been around.

I used to hate P Basses. One day, I decided to try one in a store again (it was a Squire!) and it just clicked. Now I'm GASing pretty bad for a P Bass.

15. Mr. Krinkle

Mr. Krinkle

Aug 3, 2004
    See, that's what I mean though. So many people seem to play them just because they're fenders. Their might not be anything special about them but they just have that brand recognition. It's like a Harly Davidson (but let's say at Honda quality for the sake of comparison). People love them just because it's a harly. I don't get it. Fenders could probably sound like anything and people would still adore them.

16. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'd say, they might not adore them; but they'd definitely still buy them.

17. Mr. Krinkle

Mr. Krinkle

Aug 3, 2004
    Obviously, but I'm just trying to find a less expensive way around that. He plays a SSII and I don't have the extra $3000 on me right now.

18. +1 Fenders are so universal you could play any kind of music in any band with any kind of image and the Fender wouldn't look out of place.

My jazz is brilliant, and I've had so many compliments from listeners/mates at uni who've used it saying "it sounds/feels great" - there must be something right with it.

I tried out a few in the shop with my mind kind of already thinking "jazz" and I tried a few and it just felt better and had a nicer sound than the other 4-5 in the shop. If you don't really look at Fenders and there was one in a shop which you later found out was amazing right after your mate bought it you'd be like "ah, bugger - it sounds brill, plays brill, and I COULD have bought it if I'd not ruled out Fender"

You just never know - you may find THE ONE in your local shop...the best Fender you've ever played which feels right and has a nice sound (and it COULD even be a Squier, I bought one off a mate at work for 60 quid without even plugging it in - took it home and it was just as loud as my MIM jazz) It was pure luck on that one - but you know, producers and bandmates alike all have SOME degree of respect if you own a Fender - it shows them you are SERIOUS if you own a bass like the one Jamerson/Duck Dunn/Jaco/Geddy Lee/thousands of others have used to record thousands of the biggest hit singles...

and besides...THE COMPANY'S STILL GOING AFTER 55 YEARS EVEN WITH LOADS OF CHEAPER-PRICED COMPETITION AROUND!

19. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    What kind of range are you looking at?

20. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Your Spector problem is the preamps they use. I use to use Spector (5 US Made and 3 Euro's). They are very bright AND have a huge output!!!

Also, the EMG's have a VERY high output. This caused me problems with them until I (my tech) made some modifications to the bass (ie: new preamp) to tame it and rool off some of that brightness.

At the time I had two SVT 2-Pro's in my rack and without the preamp change I would clip the crap out of those heads.

Hope that helps.