1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why the GR2? (3Leaf Audio content)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FilterFunk, Oct 28, 2018.

1. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Spurred by the unveiling of 3Leaf Audio's new Chromatron envelope filter, I have a question:

Why is the Groove Regulator 2 (GR2) the consensus favorite of Spencer's filters here on TB? This is a very unscientific conclusion, but out of all the comments and reviews I've read, I've found that the GR2 rates highest among the 3Leaf filters. Not by a large margin, but the GR2 does seem to get more "favorite" votes than the others.

To those of you who've tried at least a couple of Spencer's filters and settled on the GR2: What makes you like the GR2 more than the others?

2. I’ve owned two of them... along with every other 3leaf filter and I think the GR2 just sounds funkier, thicker, juicier and sexier. I also think it’s easier to dial in.

3. kevk

kevk Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Napa Valley
    Bingo!

My GR2 isn’t always on my board, but it’s not going anywhere...

FilterFunk likes this.
  4. ^^^ Agreed 100%. I owned the Wonderlove Deluxe and found it far too tame when compared to the GR2.

FilterFunk likes this.
  5. The GR2 is highly regarded because it is a way better filter. It is also a Meatball copy and the Meatball is the best sounding filter I've ever heard. The Wonderlove is Spencer's design and it just isn't as good, in my opinion. It's got a ton of features and a lot of control but very little in the way of what the GR has.

I am interested to see whether this is a real step up from the Wonderlove of just a rebranding.

FilterFunk likes this.
  6. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Complete redesign according to Spencer’s comments on Facebook.

willsellout likes this.
  7. ilansgroove

ilansgroove

Jan 24, 2012
    paris, france
    Waiting for demos

8. Spencer is a very good bass player. I’d expect him to post a demo.

9. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Thanks for the responses! I've also noticed that GR2s are almost impossible to find nowadays.