1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why the Lack of Interest in DNA Amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Dec 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hello everyone! Just an observation...I see a ton of interest and buzz with other boutique amps (Bergantino, Darkglass, Demeter, etc), but not so much with DNA. They seem to have the right specs that are more or less in line with the competition (weight, wattage, nice EQ, etc), so what gives?

Btbp and alaskaleftybass like this.
  2. I’d like to know myself. My dns410 is phenomenal

3. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Not sure
    Is it because of the fiasco that happened in the last years of Eden ....People lost their faith in David Nordscow?

I LOVED my all Eden rigs in the 90's and 2000's....but was sad to see things suddenly go awry with customer service and parts and reliability...Then Eden seemed to disappear

Ric Vice, Chef, HeavyJazz and 2 others like this.
  4. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I've never seen on in a store or online. Probably the biggest factor.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have been very curious about this as well. I was an Eden user for many years, but when the time came a few years ago to switch to lighter weight gear, I was a little gunshy about going with DNA, for the simple reason that there just isn’t that much discussion about it, or, it seems, interest.

I went with Genzler, and recently migrated to a full Bergantino rig, and haven’t looked back. But I still am curious about DNA, and just why it seems to not have become a bigger thing?

murphy likes this.
  6. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    After Eden I switched to Markbass heads and Bergantino cabs....then Epifani

JazzPbass NXT likes this.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think he was a little late to the party. By time the DNS stuff hit the street, there was already a great selection of class D amps on the market. Further, Eden is still there, so he's competing with himself in a way. I've played the DNS gear and it's very good - it's just tough to break a new product into an already burgeoning market.

Jamie_Funk, TomB, Rickter and 7 others like this.
  8. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Biggest thing I think was the huge time lag from when the company announced the first amps, and when they finally actually had some to show and sell.

smperry, murphy and Gearhead17 like this.
  9. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Kinda like Lakland. Hard to catch lightning in a bottle twice in the realitivly small world of bass gear. Michael Tobias being the exception and even then MTD is not a big name outside of the gospel world.

Jaycephas, Pbassmanca and murphy like this.
  10. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    Maybe just not the right DNA?:D

11. The worst mistake on an amp I EVER made was buying a Metro and accompanying Eden 115 cab brand new, at the time when the new owners were completing their buyout of Eden.

I rec'd two perfectly clean boxes, not a mark on them. Straight out of the box, and they were as clean and umdamaged as the boxes, the Metro made nothing but a slight buzz, and the 115 speaker was locked up, crooked in its gap. Fortunately I opened it up at the my favorite music store here in Nashville, who were only to happy to box it up and return it for replacement (Corner Music at cornermusic.com, just the best !). Couple weeks later, the replacements arrive, and work fine.

I take it home, play CD's thru them for an afternoon to 'break in' the drivers as per Eden's recommendation. I make three not-that-loud club dates, and one of the 10" speaker cone ripped itself in the circumference 'round the dome. So then, Eden did NOT warranty the speakers, and a replacement then was $160, on a week old amp. So, we applied a line of black adhesive over the tear, and played it till I got rid of it a year later, whereupon I took a huge bath on the stack as by then, their troubles were well-known: In Nashville, a lot of gear gets thrown under busses or in 18-wheelers to go around the country or the world, and most guys know what will or won't stand up to the road.

While I can't pin this trainwreck directly to Nordschow, I do feel that whatever provisions that were made for his buyout must have included damn little in the way of customer care and quality assurance by the new owners.

I can tell you I'd eat razor blades and wash then down with napalm before I'd knowingly buy anything that the remarkable Mr. Nordschow has anything do with. The crazy thing is I played a lot of Peavey bass amps over the years, and though they were short on tone, I could throw the damn things down two flights of stairs and couldn't break them. And Hartley, you need to be going back to building your new stuff like that, shame on you !

I know this type of story has been common to a lot of previous Eden owners, so maybe DNA is just going to have quite the hill to climb.

12. inanimate_carb

inanimate_carb

Aug 11, 2016
    Lack of advertising and lack of getting noted players with lots of accolades to share on board. On top of that, the competition makes really good products, most with a reputation for reliability and strong CS. Eden lost that a number of years ago due to incompetent management and hiring practices. Nobody wants to risk spending close to a grand on equipment that might be bricked because it can't get fixed. People remember the dicketry with Eden, and DNA is likely suffering for it. No matter who was or wasn't involved, DNA and Eden are inseparably joined at the hip.

DNA was going to hire a known and documented TB shyster as a upper-level exec, so no lessons were learned from previous errors. Search the board if you doubt this. Life is easier if you just buy something else from a manufacturer that has at least bought or rented a clue about how to properly market a luxury item in a crappy economy.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
    Adam Wright and murphy like this.
  13. Rimshot

Rimshot Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Chicago
    Who now?

Inky13, Plectrum72 and superheavyfunk like this.
  14. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Yeah, it's really still a very boutique type company. It's not a big large company behind him. He started it in 2010 with the new cabs and they are amazing. I have the DNS410 myself. I was badly torn between getting two 12's and one 410. Just couldn't get the $$ for two 12's and I wanted more than the 210. So I got the 410 and run my 800 watt Eden amp into it. It sounds SPECTACULAR! Really, I have no plans on getting anything else. It is far superior to any 410 I've ever tried and I actually like the handles spacing on the top edges.

The amps were a long time coming. He wanted to get his main stable of cabs done first and since he's the only designer, the amps would had to wait until the cabs were done. David didn't want to use the same ICE power sections that he used in Eden because they sound so bad when they hit clipping and they seemed to hit it pretty easily. Plus, he had some very specific ideas about what he wanted to do.

He wanted a high powered class D amp and was shooting for 1400 watts. Got 1350 out of it. He also knew the limitations of the automatic compressor on the Eden WT series amps and decided to go with a full-blown studio compressor (4-controls). He also wanted the flexibility of running a side chain effects loop with adjustable wet/dry besides the normal effects loop. So he set some pretty high design goals.

It took an abnormally long time to bring the first amp to market and it changed its name in the process to DNA1350 reflecting the 1350-watts rms power (in a 7-lb amp). Part of the trick was finding better power source and he did. The power design features a newly patented design with one-cycle control loop technology. After close to a 6-month delay, they finally became available and began arriving in stores. Street price was big though at ~$1499.

He next announced that he was working on an 800-watt version and it came to fruition pretty quickly. It has a lot of the same features as the DNA1350 but with fewer controls on the compressor and no side-chain effects, but just the normal effects-loop. He ended up with another class D amp (4.8-lbs) at a great street price of $749. That one has some decent video's available, especially with the bit from bassmusicianmagazine.com (nice demo video at bottom of this). I would expect that DNA-800 make some inroads in sales.

I think the big reason there's not more of a splash is because it is a boutique company and doesn't have the large advertising budget for support that other brands have. DNA also doesn't have as large of a dealer base and there's really not a lot of gear out there. And, if David gets sick, everything pretty much comes to a stop for a bit. It's a very small operation So, it's pretty slow going.

You pretty much have to either hear someone playing through DNA gear of find the rare shop that actually has it in stock to really understand just how good this gear is. I wanted this DNS410 from the time I first heard it in 2010, but didn't have the money together until 2015 to get it. I am super pleased with it and glad I didn't buy anything else to "make-do" in the meantime because this cab is simply KILLER!!

Here's the DNA800 review running through the DNS210 cab:

15. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    You know when the DNA speaker cabs (DNS-series) first came out, they were a bit more expensive than the Eden cabs. Eden recently raised its cab prices after moving the cab building operation to the UK and now the DNA cabs are significantly lower price than the Eden cabs. My comment has often been and continues to be, if you buy used, check out the Eden D410XLT and D410XST cabs. They are great cabs and used prices are around $500. If you are buying new, the DNA cabs (DNS-series) are both better cabs and less expensive than the Eden cabs. I'm of the opinion that it's hard to go wrong with Eden cabs and impossible to go wrong with DNA's DNS-series cabs.

16. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I haven't seen any DNA gear in person. They may be 10% better than other cabs or amps, but if I can hear something in person and it sounds great, I'm not going to risk it for a small possibility of being a little better.

Daniel Piper likes this.
  17. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I got something on the way. You can give it a test run my local-yocal.

18. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I'd be curious, but I've committed to Mesa at this point.

murphy and Mr.Ace like this.
  19. pigpen1

pigpen1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2017
    Don't know this story about Lakland, can you elaborate?

20. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Dan doesn’t own Lakland anymore. Like DNA is now trying to sell Basses under his own name.