1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why the plain bass bridges?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassBuzzRS, May 8, 2006.

1. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    I have seen tons of basses on the pictures you have all posted on this wonderful forum. Basses with beautiful top woods, interesting headstocks, incredible knobs and pickup tops. I have seen fanned frets, many different body shapes, moveable pickups, hollowbodies and you name it :)

I struck me today that on so many basses, even boutique ones, the bridge is just a plain square metal block. I feel there is huge potential there to integrate a bridge with the overall body/bass design. Lovely body curves are designwise contrasted with a square boring piece in the middle of the sweetness. Am I making sense?

How about a laquered/painted bridges, or a bridge shaped like a wave or a dragon's head biting the string ends, or even a bridge that is shaped like a miniature of the bass body? Those ideas are just my crazy on-the-fly examples, but what do you think?

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Thats what Trabens are for.

3. Well car manufactures could install flame throwers on bumpers and have the bumper wrap around the entire car like a giant bumper car. But some call that tacky. That's what trabens are for :smug:

4. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    Trabens, tacky?
    Hmph; and here I thought they were just ugly

5. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
  6. Mine's a square block of wood.

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Because most boutique luthiers are woodworkers, not metalworkers. The cost or time cost of precision machining or casting bridges would make the process prohibitive for most makers...as they don't build in enough scale to make it an efficient expeniture.

8. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Theres quite a few luthiers that make things different from a "plain square metal block". Take these for example:

claw1.

chamber7_1.

Body_7.

Also, don't forget about the Lakland's, Alembic's, and the already mentioned Traben's. :p

9. +100

10. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    bottom pic...what is it?

11. 10-string legend built by Jerzy Drozd for Yves Carbonne

12. paulraphael

paulraphael

Apr 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    If you heard me play, you'd stop reading what I write.
    if only it had a whammy bar i'd buy it.

13. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    Where would you put it???

14. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Awesome Drozd, that is smart making it that way, just like one solid huge neck and a wee bitty body. Nice weight im sure.

15. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    I am sure you're right, but those that make the effort sure makes some nice stuff I see :)

16. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Holy ****. that's what I'm talking about! Never seen that brand before!
    [​IMG]

17. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    I just put a BadAss III on my JBass. It may look plain, but improveement in sound and sustain is worth more than some arty-farty bridge.

18. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    I really like the Schaller roller bridge and the Hipshot A; nothing wrong with simple beauty.

19. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Music Man and Lakland make really cool signature bridges that conform to the overall look of the body quite well while imparting the bent-metal "vintage tone". G&L Bridges are quite nice, also.

20. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Don't know why I didn't think of that!

Been looking at my Sterling bridge for days now!