1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why the Streamer Stage II?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ndrly, Aug 1, 2007.

1. I've heard a lot of good stuff about the Warwick Streamer Stage II. But WHY??? I have nothing against it, it's just, what's so good about it? I mean, I personally think the Stage I or the LX seem pretty good too.

2. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    Have you played one yet? I get mine next week.

3. GlassJaw

GlassJaw

Jul 24, 2006
    Rhode Island
    I have a Stage Stage II 5 (neck-thru), an LX 4 (BO), and a Thumb BO 5. For me, it's the tone.

The Stage II just has that fat, growly sound that I love but is also very versatile. It has tons of sustain too. It's not a light bass by any means but the balance and positioning is perfect. I haven't touched my Thumb since I got it. It's also one of the easiest 5's I've played for slapping. Overall, it's probably the comfortable bass I've played.

The LX has the same balance but its much lighter since it's a bolt-on. It doesn't have the sustain of the Stage II but it's really punchy and has an insane slap tone. The PJ pups have a lot of versatility and is a nice compliment to the Stage II.

After playing Streamers, I put the Thumbs away. I've played Stage I's but they are a little too sterile and clean for me.

4. Well........The SSII is not better than the SSI, it's just different. The SSII has different woods, the SSI has maple I believe, and the SSI has wider string spacing than the SSII, and the SSII has jazz sized pups, where the SSI has soapbars. The Streamer LX is a "cheap" bass that shares the shape of the body, and that's about it. The LX is a bolt on neck I believe as well.

Hope some of this is usefull. I had a SSII 5'er and I loved the sound and playability, (GAS got the best of me, and I sold it to fund something else though)

All that being said. I personally think even with how nice the SSII played, felt, and was constructed, it's not worth to me the price they are charging now.

5. The tone (punchy lows, full low mids, glassy but not harsh highs, great slap tone, cuts in a mix) the effortless playability (though the Stage 1 is similar in this regard).

It's just a great neck-thru Warwick that has a killer tone and is very versatile. I play it more than my Thumb. I've yet to hear a different Warwick model that sounds the same.

6. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    1) The tone is oh so yummy (especially with aftermarket pickups).
    2) It is quite comfortable to play, unlike some Warwicks.

7. elpelotero

elpelotero

Jun 16, 2006
    as mentioned, it's all about the tone.

it is to my ears so unique that you instantly recognize it when you hear it. It can cut through any mix (if the sound engineer at least gives you a chance). There are songs I've heard on the radio where I instantly know it's a SS2, without knowing. I then go home and check and find I was correct....to me, that's a very unique sound!

it balances and plays extremely well. Slaps great.

On the low strings, it growls like a bear. But on the upper frets, it sounds like a piano. It is without a doubt a very versatile bass.

A lot of basses out there sound the same to my ears, even though they are different brands. Amongst all Warwicks and other companies, the SS2's tone is unique. Is is better? depends on your tastes. But unique? definitely.

8. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Since it has 4 knob holes, I imagine changing the pickups to Villex and a V/V/Mid-Tone/High-Tone configuration.

Many people claim that the Villex is unbeatable when it comes to reproduce the the fundamental note with clarity, so i think that Villex and SSII would be a hell of a comb.

9. I love that bass... I just wish they had a neck with a better profile... I mean, not better, but something more friendly, something like my SR5...

10. elpelotero

elpelotero

Jun 16, 2006
    did you try an old SS2 or a new one? the old one's have thin necks that you may like.

Most people these days plop a seymour Duncan STC3a and Seymour Duncan AJB-5's into their SS2. It's pretty much what the pro's put into their's. (Dirk Lance, PNUT, Sam Rivers, few others). The result is an even more growly sound than the stock MEC's.

11. You really have to play one for yourself. They just have a super sweet, and unique tone that you can't get anywhere else. I think the Afzelia body wood plays a big part.

12. Alright. I wonder how they would sound if they had EMG pickups and a P/J configuration?

13. That's on the five and six string basses. Four string versions have a P/J configuration.

14. Do people still play 4 strings?:D (just kidding!)