1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why The White Stripes should record with a bassist

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by ArpeggiFish, Mar 15, 2008.

1. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    So their sound doesn't sound like a tin can. Seven nation army ftw (only for the guitar set an octave down to sound like a bass)

2. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    The White Stripes shouldn't change a thing. Their newest album is a masterpiece.

3. Actually, I've been told some of their songs do feature bass on the records. You won't find it in the liner notes, however.

4. jakusx

jakusx

Nov 11, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale
    Get Behind Me Satan had some double bass on it that Jack played himself.

Their fine without bass.

Besides, who'd want to split those royalties three ways?

5. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    I'd worry more about their drummer!

6. Lon86

Lon86

Jan 21, 2008
    Venice, CA
    Worst live band EVER!!!!!!!!!

The drummer can't keep time, and all you hear is SCREEEECHHH!!!

7. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    yeah with the amount of treble on jack white's guitar, a bass isn't going to make them much less "tinny"

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Just listen to these guys then:

9. I liked The Raconteurs!

10. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Yeah, the Raconteurs did a really good album that should have gone somewhere. Anyone who thinks Jack White sucks needs to hear that album. But it's the White Stripes that people want to hear, so it's the White Stripes we get. I can live with that.

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    There are 1,084,493,323 bands that have a bass player; it's okay if a few don't.

They do what they do and evidently do it well considering their success. I understand that we're all bass players, but that doesn't mean we all have to have the attitude that bass needs to be everywhere all the time.

12. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Eagles Of Death Metal got a bassist for their last album. I wasn't crazy about it like I was the first.

13. sublime0bass

sublime0bass

Aug 2, 2007
    Boone, NC
    good point

i think we should get billy sheehan a guitar player

14. Anyone think that maybe Jack White, is, maybe, I don't know, doing what he wants?

Jack White writes the music as he sees fit, and who are we, even as bass players to question him? Hundreds of thousands of fans don't seem to be complaining.

Jack White also wants Meg there. Yes, she's a stupid simple player. When I saw the Stripes with my uncle in Lexington a while back, I met Jack behind stage afterwards, and I asked him about something he had said in a radio interview about Meg, and he completely reiterated it to me: 'I tell Meg NOT to practice. What I love about her behind the kit is that she's so naive, like I child who's been set in front of a drum kit.' Its part of his vision, who are we to judge? Also, I LOVED the live show. Its Rock and Roll man, not American Idol. Jack White isn't the Fourth Tenor. But he gets up there, and its powerful. Yeah, its treble heavy, garage rock tone, gritty and distorted in thin. I dig it. If you don't like it, feel free to not go to shows.

And like Matt said, you want Jack White AND Bass Guitar? Broken Boy Soldiers was a very solid album, IMO.

No offense was meant in this post, but this topic is getting old, and was silly from the beginning.

15. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I missed this before...even if they did add a bassist, you can bet that Jack wouldn't split ANYTHING 3 ways with him! I doubt if Meg even gets an equal cut. Well, she might, but a 3rd person would never get an equal cut in an already-successful band.

16. Doodaddy

Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    I would prefer if they didn't record at all. :(

17. jakusx

jakusx

Nov 11, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale
    People have a lot of anger over the White Stripes. It's kind of funny.

18. Doodaddy

Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    I doubt that I'm being singled out with this, but I kinda want to respond anyway. :p

I enjoy the idea of a two peice, drums and guitar. Like previously stated, a bass isn't always required. I just think it could be done better than the way the White Stripes does it. Especially on drums and guitar tonality..... but it's all preference and opinion anyway. :hyper:

19. I used to be a White Stripes hater, but then I gave White Blood Cells and De Stijl a listen and realized just how stupid it was to hate a band because of their instrumentation. Jack White's a great guitarist, but it's Meg's ramshackle drumming that turns them from a good band, into a great one. Its her lack of skill that makes the band and I think that a "better" drummer or a bassist would probably wreck the group's dynamic. Not every band needs to be Dream Theater...or even Cream for that matter.

20. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Jacks “bass-less” sound strongly influenced by two past masters of it.

R.L. Burnside

:) ... Taylor's debut album, Hound Dog Taylor and the HouseRockers, in 1971 was a huge influence on me.