why this G&L difference?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Feb 15, 2002.

1. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i can't understand why G&L basses look so different on the headstock. there are really different logo that make me think of different lines and production of the same basses, silver logos, gold logos, some headstock has that "guitars by Leo" motto and others don't have it. what's the matter?
    take a look here:

and what about that Tilia body? Tilia is basswood. why they use alder or swamp ash for the l-2000 and tilia back for thier l-2500? i like basswood a lot, but why the use this wood? i'd like a G&L but i'm not so sure of their line up, it's not so clear to my ees, here in italy they are really rare and expensive and all i can do is seeing these pics from the internet. some seem really great, others seem poor in wood, take a look at their rosewod fingerboards. i'm not mocking G&L, i only need help to understand why their basses make me dubious. i'd like to have a l-2500. the only G&L i have seen and played are a L-5500 and an ASAT and i had the same strange feel, i can't understand if their quality is great or not. i'm dubious...can you help me?
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The 1st 3 basses have the same kind of logo except that the 3rd one has a vintage painted neck. ASAT's alwaus had the different color logo. Why? Ask Leo. :) The Guitars by Leo is a Way to let people know that Leo Fender made these basses. Leo Fender used to put his signature of the guitars & basses but Fender Musicial Instruments Inc has the copyright to the name "Fender" so that had to stop. Each year they might make an update to the original logo. If you go down the line of Fender logo's throught the years you'd have to use more than 2 hands to count all the different logo's they used.

G&L stated that they used American Tilia because it's a lighter wood & they only use it on the L-2500 because the body is bigger. Well the last L-2500 I had w/the AT body was VERY HEAVY. It all had to do w/money & marketing & copyrights, etc.
  3. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    What's wrong with the wood on G&Ls? There's nothing wrong with the rosewood fingerboard on my bass. I love it because it's really dark. It looks like ebony unless you look at it from 6 inches away.