why u dont like warwicks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joel, Dec 10, 2002.

1. joel

joel Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2002
    i know that this is another about warwicks but i was just curious why so many of you fellow bassist dont like warwicks

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Most Warwicks made in the last ten years have a baseball bat neck, which kills my left hand. I prefer a wide, thin neck. Warwicks have a narrow, thick neck.

IMHO most Warwicks are overpriced, if you buy new. Of course, the solution to that is to buy used.

Warwick has started cutting corners a lot in the past few years. Cheaper woods, cheaper nut, and cheaper electronics.

I do like some Warwicks. Give me an older Steamer Stage II, with Basslines pickups and preamp, and the brass Just-a-nut, and I will be happy.
  3. Ditto.

I'll add the fact that MEC pickups and preamps aren't just cheaper, they're absolute junk.
  4. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Boy, there has been a lot of Warwick threads since I've been away! Did they beat up the other basses and take their lunch money again? :D Settle down, it was a joke! I think I'll dig through the archives and catch up on my reading.
  5. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Well I hate to sound like I am bashing them but I have not tried a single one I liked. Now keep in mind I have only tried corvette's and thumbs both of them in fretted and fretless forms. I see a lot of people say really good things about the streamers and I have never tried one so I cannot comment on those.

However as embellisher the "unhelpful jerk" ;) said I just do not like the feel of the warwicks I have played at all, and I am normally not one to complain about the feel of a bass. To me if I like a bass as a whole I will adapt to it. However with the warwick's ive tried (mostly thumbs) I just don't know if I ever could be 100% cool with it. Especially after having an F bass and experiencing an absolutely phenomenal Fodera. Also the sound of EVERY Warwick I've tried was just not acceptable for me. So when you combine both not liking the playability or the sound...well, need I say more? I do think the thumbs are pretty cool looking though. I've seen some I think are very nice.

What it all comes down to is personal preference. There are many people that love warwicks so who is to say you won't? If you are interested I would say go talk to people who do in fact like them because getting opinions of people who don't probably won't help you too much unless you are just looking for overall opinions. Then of course make sure you try some out. And not just one, trying out several of the same model. You could find one that for some reason just really does it for you when others don't. Hope this helps somehow. :)
  6. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  7. never could get past the looks of them
  8. niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    Every one I've played so far has sounded like crap. I keep trying just so I can say I found one that doesn't sound like crap but it hasn't happened yet. Thus far I've hit the range of Corvettes, Thumb's and the Streamer II. Have yet to try the others.
  9. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I've owned two, a Streamer Pro M 4 (probably 1999) and a Thumb 5 NT. I actually like the Streamer Pro M, and the MEC preamp and pickups actually sounded great. It did have a transparent dye + clear coat finish tho', so that isn't your typical Warwick. I only sold it because I wanted a 5 string instead of a 4, hence the Thumb I picked up. Fortunately I bought it used because it was the biggest piece of crap I have ever layed my hands on. I played it at one service and that was enough! I was in mega pain... too heavey and I could barely reach the first fret. The MEC electronics in that one stunk!!

All of the current Warwicks I have tried at the local GC seem cheap in comparison to the Streamer Pro M I used to have.
  10. Mostly my issue is around price. I can build or have built most anything I want for around 1,000 dollars and my tastes are pretty simple. I like the "warwick sound" I love the feel of the bodies and the necks are a nice change (kind of like playing an acoustic guitar after playing an Ibanez thin series neck)

I just don't think they are worth what people are paying for them.

The rockbass series seems to be closer in the price vs. value and quality department.
  11. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I've played a bunch and tried to be fair but warwick basses are not for me. Don't like the necks and can't get used to the shape. I think it is a extremely well made bass, just well made for someone else.
  12. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i don't like 'em because...

1) either every 16 year old punk wants one to play nu-metal on :(

or 2) because everyone assumes i'm a 16 year old punk who plays one because everyone else does :(

and a lesser 3) because the preamp breaks all the time. my thumb definitely needs a new one, and hte one in the ss2 sounds poopy. the PICKUPS on the other hand are really nice to my ears. i like passive mode better than active.

other than that, they're the best basses in the world for me. no way in hell would i pay $3k for a new SS2, but i'd pay $1500 for my ss2 again every day of the week. the tone, paired with my rig, is the exact tone i hear in my head when i imagine myself playing, it cuts through, it's heavy (i like it if it's as well balanced as this bass is), the neck is comfortable, i know it's put together well so i don't have to treat it like a stradivarius, it looks cool, and i got a good deal on it.

i wouldn't pay over $1500 for any bass when i could pick these things up for that much consistantly. i also wouldn't buy a non-wenge necked one, but that is also "just me." i don't have a heck of a lot of money to throw around.

my thumb i like almost as much, but i'm still getting used to the 6 string aspect and need to rectify the neck diving.
  13. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I tried one recently, I don't know what model it was but it was a sixer, and I found that it was impossible to reach the upper frets on any string without dislocating my pinky
  14. walkinbass

Sep 19, 2002
    For those who don't know any better....

I play a Warwick Streamer. It plays very very well. It has a wide range of tonal possibilities. It has a wonderful neck... Smooth and comfortable. In 7 years of playing I've never had to adjust the neck! Stable!!!

Warwicks are perhaps a bit over priced. In all things, a good reputation means the price goes up.

I wonder if those who keep trashing Warwicks might not fall into one of the following categories:

1. Uninformed personally... only repeating what they have heard.
    2. Can't afford a good bass ...so they have to justify the crap they play on.
    3. Have nothing better to do at night since they don't get any gigs.
    4. Can't get the Warwick that they tried out to sound like a garage band bass.

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

1. I have played Warwicks in local shops for 12+ years. The Streamer Stage I and II, especially, the older ones with the thinner profile necks and better craftsmanship were among the best basses I have ever played.

2. I have 8 basses. One of them lists for almost $4000, another lists for $2899. I just sold one which listed for $2695.

3. I gig 3-4 times a month with 2 different bands as well as playing praise & worship at church 3 services per week.

4. Warwicks sound pretty decent in passive mode. The older models with Barts, EMGs or Basslines sound great active as well. Every Warwick I have played with MECs sounded cheap with the preamp engaged. Hissy, buzzy and hollow. Kind of like a low priced Soundgear. So with the preamps on, they can indeed sound like a garage band bass.
  16. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    That's when you pull out your SSII and show them you aren't a 16 year old punk who bought a Warwick to play nu-metal on :)

I'll admit i hadn't heard of Warwick until i listened to Mudvayne. But I didn't buy it because Ryknow played a Warwick, I bought one because I love the Warwick tone.
  17. I don't have anything against them personally. some of them sound good some of them don't sound so good. Like anything else if you are buying one play a bunch of the same kind of you can. I do think the necks are a little too thick. and the only one I do like is the streamer jazzman or something but it is crazy expensice and for that price I coult get a spector and be happy. they are just not my cup of tea.
  18. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

what a difference 5 years makes. i heard warwicks first from stu zender and stefan lessard...then i tried one and new she was the one :)

i used to watch all these tapes of jamiroquai performances on tv just to hear that tone and see stu's white w/ LED SS1..drooollll....