Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why upgrade pots?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mulepods, Feb 28, 2006.

1. mulepods

mulepods Guest

Feb 20, 2006
    USA
    I'm considering upgrading the hardware on my MIM Jazz. I keep seeing people talk about upgrading pots. What's wrong with the stock pots? Will installing new pots change the tone somehow?

2. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Changing the pot values can have an effect on both the bass's output and the rolloff of the tone knob, although the exact effect this has is determined by the cap values and your pickups.

As well, not all pots are created equal. While I've never had a problem with the pots on any of my basses, cheap pots don't operate as smoothly, and may develop crackles and pops over time. Replacing them with sealed or wire-wound pots would eliminate either problem.

3. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Pots can dry out. I had to replace them on my bass only once in 25 years. The ones I had in it when it was new were smooth clean and moved rather easily. The replacements were nothing like that. They took effort to move andwere not quite as smooth. After a while I changed them out with a switchcraft pot and I was happy again! By the way, that change took place on the same day...