Why Warwick is so popular in the US??!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by larrytron, Oct 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi everybody.
    I wanna know why you guys think Warwick are great basses?
    Are they cheap???No(they're cheaper in Europe!)
    Are they great??...
    Are they...???...
    Want to know why you love 'em. They have a really special sound, and you have so many bass brands in thge states, I don't know why they come out...
    Tell me why,please!!!
    It it gonna be the Warwick MEGA-THREAD?!

2. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I personally am not a fan of their instruments. But that's just me.
  3. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    They're so pretty.

4. cods

Sep 16, 2003
    me either.
  5. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    For basses in their price range here in the US, I rank them dead last.
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    THIS is a productive thread so far..

I like them. If you can get em for a good price used, in good condition, they are worth it. I tihnk the only one i would pay for new is the standard corvette. ($800 in local shop). I like the wood, i like the sound, i like the feel. THe end.
  7. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    i'm not a big fan either.
  8. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Well, it's no Bongo, is it?
  9. Why Warwick is so popular in the US??!!!

It's like this: if you have to ask, you'll never know.
  10. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    I happen to love Warwick basses, I have two of them now, a Thumb 4 NT (which is for sale) and a Streamer Stage II 4. I use to have a Custom Shop Thumb 5 BO with a beautiful Swirly Bubinga top/Ash body and Maple fb but I had a hard time getting use to the smaller string spacing so I had to sell it. Every one of these basses sound fantastic and I like how they play. The 5-string was a bit bulky as far as the neck goes but the tone was to die for. The construction is top notch and the customer support is the best I have ever dealt with. There is just something about them and you would just have to play one to understand.

11. DW

Jun 22, 2000
    What makes you think they're so popular here? Nothing against Warwick, but it's never been a big selling brand.
  12. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    I think that what is popular has alot to do with marketing. Warwicks are in every Guitar Center and most other music stores. I don't know how you get different stores to carry your instruments but they must have a great rep or give shops a good deal. As far as there quality goes, I think it is hard to get an amazing instrument for that price range but easy to get a solid one which is what I feel a warwick is.
  13. They feel good, sound good, and look good...all of those are my personal preference of course. If you like a thick neck, they really do the job. Also, many awesome players use them, which might be the reason a lot of teenagers want one. Personally I just want one because I have never played a bass I liked as much, and I've played some nice basses.
  14. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Like JRB says...Guitar Center (a national chain of huge music (I mean guitar, bass, drum, some keyboard, pro audio and home studio) stores in the US) pushes them and a lot of the guys on the cover of Bass Player magazine and in music videos play them.
  15. It's not just you. I had a man in the studio in 2000 who was playing a warwick and it was the worst sounding bass I've ever recorded. He ended up using my Fender P bass.

BTW, warwicks are not a good blues sounding bass.....IMHO

16. That's funny. I just (and I mean minutes ago) got back from a Passion concert (David Crowder Band, and Charlie Hall). The bassist for the Crowder band was playing a Fender P and it sounded good. But, the bassist for Charlie Hall's band came out with a Warwick Thumb 5 NT. With the first note he played you could tell an amazing difference, like night and day. The Thumb had SO much more tone, it was unreal. All the guys I were with, their jaws hit the floor. That bass sounded GOOD!

BTW they were both playing thru the same rig, an Ampeg 8X10 deal.
  17. sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    I like the sounds of Warwicks, but I can't see myself ever playing one. I'd definately try one out though, then decide whether I'd like it.
  18. SilverELEX

Oct 28, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Hey guys, im quite new to the site and relatively new to bass playing. However, I have played the the Fender basses(jazz bass with flatwounds) and I really loved the tone. Then I picked up the Warwick Thumb 5 string and Corvette Standard. I was blown away with the way it sounded, looked, and felt while I was playing it. Right there I decided that was the bass for me. Time to ditch my Ibanez srx300 and step up. I am currently saving up for my 4 string Corvette. I love em.

19. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I've only played a few Warwick 5 strings (now this was just solo bass in a store).

My experience is that not all Warwicks are created equal.

The Thumb BO5 I played, I thought sounded great. It had a great sounding B string; was pretty even across the strings; had a great growly, compressed tone to it.

I played a couple of Corvettes. The B string on one of them sucked; the other was fair (must have been the setup); seemed to have a punchier tone that the Thumb, but not as good a low end.

Played a Fortress Masterman. I couldn't get a decent tone out of it.

I don't care for the neck profile on any that I played (none had the wider neck), too chunky and narrow for me.
  20. they might sound good sometimes, and they might be nice to play sometimes, but i just cant get over the fact that they're some of the ugliest basses I've ever seen. :meh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.