Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why we say (put name here) is god

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Jun 3, 2001.

1. now i just want to say that the reason teenagers think some guy who pumps out root 7 and 9th (sorry Dee Dee) is god is because #1 god forbid a radio station play something beside the top 40! the first way i got in to king crimson was because my parents played it! #2 if we start listening to "old" music in 13 year olds cases we may not be liked if we listen to this "wierd" music. now i thank god me and a few other kids my friends listen to good music. well just wanted to say my opinon.

P.S. can somebody put a Rush mp3 up for me? and i am 11!

------------------------------------------------------
    D-U-M-B Everyones accusing me!
    -Joey Ramone

2. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    My advice is listen to whatever you like and **** your friends taste. Also, I don't think most people are called god for pumping out root, 7ths and 9ths????

/lovebown

3. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Fair point - if you're a teenager starting out on bass, the chances are you'll have been inspired to pick up the instrument from something you heard in the charts. So, if All The Small Things was what made up you pick up an instrument, then you'll aspire to play like Mark Hoppus. Also, I think that when people are starting off, especially teenagers, someone like Flea is a long way off, so you get a lot of hero worship - "he's God and the best bass player ever!". Only when you begin to get better at the instrument do you start to look at your idols' playing more objectively, and realise that they're not superhuman.

Just thought I'd pontificate a little bit further.

4. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Oh, and I also agree with Lovebrown, who beat me to posting first - to paraphrase Marge Simpson, "anyone who beats you up for listening to King Crimson isn't your friend.". ;)

5. the person who inspired me to pick up bass wasn't even a bass player and to this day i have no idea why i picked the bass, but in my school, i'm 14, they make fun of the guys who like blues or old rock like zepplin, srv, hendrix. most of them are blink, new found glory and other punk band fans which deffinetly says something about their lack of taste

6. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Agreed yawnsie, but the name is Lovebown NOT Lovebrown and is pronounced "Lovebone".

/love_BOWN_

7. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I'm sorry LoveBOWN. I think that I'm dyslexic little bit a.

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I must say that when I was a teenager and picked up bass at about 13 or 14, I hated stuff that was in the charts and so did all my friends/fellow "musicians". It was the stuff that nobody else had heard that inspired me/us.

I think that chart music almost always has bass lines that are "functional" and "for the song" - of course there are notable exceptions - but my view is that most chart music is dominated by the singer as focus and object of worship; so you're more likely to be inspired to be a singer if anything, not a bass player.

It's always been the "underground" or "alternative" music that has pushed instrumentalists to the fore. So the bassists who inspired me, never even had a sniff of the charts really.

10. And then there's li'l ol' me, who started out as a frustrated guitarist hoping to get somewhere on bass when some friends were throwing together a band for the school talent show and were in need of a bassist.
    I heeded their call, and now...honestly, I think I've progressed the most, musically, out of everyone in the band. And I'm no longer a frustrated guitarist! I'm now an aspiring bassist. :D:D

But...to refer to the original post, I wasn't inspired by anyone to play bass. I only started getting into all the good bassists AFTER I started on bass, and now they give me something to aspire to. ;):):D

11. Well people have gotten famous for it. does the Ramones ring a bell? look up the tab for pinhead and you'll see what i mean

--------------------------
    GABBA GABBA HEY!
    -Joey Ramone

12. yeah, it's a pain when people misspell your name. i'm very grateful to the few people who realize that i'm not "dancehallcrasher."