Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why? Why do I do this to myself?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matt Call, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    OK. So I'm getting a new setup. As excited as I am about it... it's definitely not going to fit in a dorm room. Well, it might but that's beyond the point.

Pretty soon I'll have all of the following:

Avalon U5
    QSC PLX3002
    Epifani T-610
    Aguilar GS410 (currently have)

Here's my predicament: Do I sell one of the cabs and get a smaller cab in it's place? Or just get a combo? Part of the thing is: I want to get another bass.

What I've thought about doing is getting a 112 (or two) for the dorm room and keeping one of the cabs. The problem behind that is, I'll use that cab maybe once every few months... if even that much.

I could also just go sans-amp for a while. I've done it before, and didn't mind it so much. I just played direct at all of my gigs. I could even get something along the lines of a Cafe Walter headphone amp.

I know for a fact that I'll be playing a TON of bass next year. I'll most likely be involved in a few different projects; but I don't think I'll need a huge rig for any of them. I'd rather have all of my gear with me (if that makes sense?) than have it sitting unused.

I'm not sure, any suggestions? Sorry if this post is pointless or out of order; but I really am lost here.

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I looked up your gear. Holy smoke.

Leave it at home, and get a 100-Watt combo. Even if you are planning on having a car, it is hard to get around a college town. Being more mobile will give you the freedom to go out and play, totally on a whim, without extensive gear hauling.

I live in the shadow of a large state university. For the most part, the college kids play in smaller clubs, without huge gear. Also, if I may say so, having $4000 worth of amp gear will not exactly promote the image of simulated poverty that you are supposed to cultivate.

At least, leave it at home until you check out the scene and find out what you really need.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You put all that high dollar, relatively small and easily movable bass gear in a dorm, and I guarantee you that piece by piece it will sprout legs and walk away when you're not around . . .

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Your dormmates must love you.

I'd keep the Avalon and the QSC. Sell the cabs and get a nice 112 or 210 like an EA, Aguilar, or Berg. Then you'll have a small, flexible setup that you can use for practice, recording and gigs.

5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    That, or some random person will end up dumping their Jack and Coke all over your rig. If you've got a critical piece that happens to be valuable, it's probably cool to bring it and defend it with your life. But a ton of gear like that is just that much more stuff to potentially be ruined.

6. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    This is what I'm leaning towards right now. I'm just trying to decide whether or not to keep the 410. I probably won't be doing any serious gigging for at least a year though. So I could probably live without it.

Then again, if I go direct all the time, I could finally get the sadowsky I've been dreaming of... ;)

7. Basroil

Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    The 120W Behringer might be a good choice. Mobile, cheap, good tone.

8. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    small schroeder or something of the sort perhaps?

9. How long are you planning to stay in a dorm? How easily could you afford to replace your big rig in two years?

Most musician types I know didn't stick around the dorm scene more than a year. It would be a drag to be 20 and have to think back fondly of your days being flush with gear.

The upside to buying a combo is that it leaves your PLX free to run PA speakers if need be.

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Sell it all and get a Bergantino IP112 and, if necessary, an EX112.

Game over.

Tom.

11. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'm definitely considering that option. The IP Bergantinos are something that I've been looking at since their announcement.

What I'm leaning more towards now is keeping one of the cabs, and picking up a 112 for the dormatory. I'll most likely be in the dorms throughout college. With the exception of taking a semester off for touring (this isn't for sure yet; but I'll have the opportunity and will get credits for it if I do).

Another option is picking up another part time job. The one I have really doesn't count... I'm cleaning houses. Good money; but a little extra income never hurt anyone (at least I don't think it did...)

The huge factor in this is that I REALLY want to get a Sadowsky, and was thinking about getting one as a kind of graduation present to myself.

Also, I'm not entirely sure I'll stick with the QSC/Avalon setup either; but I haven't played through it yet, so that's definitely up in the air.

12. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    If it were me, I would keep one 'gig-worthy' rig and get a decent combo for your room and for taking to any practice or small gigs - like a 200w w/1x12". If you have something nice in your room, the odds are very high that something will eventually happen to it. Word spreads quickly.

For your 'big rig', you'll have to decide whether to keep your U5 + PLX, or if you could scale down to a nice stand-alone head. There are several options in there to go either way. If you absolutely love the U5, you could keep that and scale back on the power amp to a QSC RMX or similar. PLX power amps are pretty easy to sell for a quick turn.

If you decide to switch to a standalone head, you can probably get something pretty nice for about half what you have in your current setup (U5: $400-450, PLX3002: $650-700). So see if there are any amps out there you could find in the $500-600 range used that you would like. I don't know if you're into all-tube heads, but you could find a Mesa 400+ or Fender Pro 300 for around $700 that would be at least as loud or louder than your current rig (just an example).

For a cabinet, you could choose to keep one of your existing cabs, or see if it makes sense to sell both and get something else. Selling cabs is a pain because of shipping, so I'm guessing you would end up keeping the Epi and sell the 4x10.

For a combo amp, you'll have to decide exactly what you want, but I ended up getting a Genz Benz that's 250w with a 1x12 and has speaker out to add another cab if needed. I got it for under $300 and it can hold it's own pretty well - and doesn't look like anything special.

Be realistic about what you need, and determine how much $$$ is tied up in a rig you may not be playing much. Don't get too attached to your amps just because they're 'nice'. You will almost always be able to pick up something later on if you really need it, either same as you had before or slightly different/better.

13. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I think I've got it. This definitely isn't a final decision by any means yet; but...

I'm going to sell everything but the Epifani. Then get an Epifani UL502, and just use that for a while. Part of the reason for that is the two different channels, since I'll be using a few different basses. Then get either a UL110 and/or UL112 for the dorm. Unless I just get a headphone amp and leave everything at home (I'll probably only be a few hours away anyway).

Part of this is that I just realized I'm kind of jumping the gun here. I've got over half a year to do this. I think if I wait to get a smaller cab, it'll be a smarter decision (I think...).

14. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    That sounds like a great plan...you can always continue to improve on it from this point - and keep an eye out for great deals. Will that free up enough cash for your Sadowsky or is that a secondary concern?

Concerning a headphone amp. They are pretty cool if your primary concern is to be totally quiet when you're practicing. I have a couple different ones I use when I'm playing at night so I don't wake up the family - a Ravens Lab and a Cafe Walter. I would recommend a small combo amp like the Peavey Microbass with a headphone jack. That way you can practice with phones when needed, or hear yourself through the amp when the headphones just aren't cutting it. The Microbass is actually a really nice little amp for about $70 used.

15. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have never needed more than my Bergie HT112. I use a Focus SA for my power amp, and a BDDI for my preamp and DI. It works great. It's small, light, portable and sounds great.

I used to have an Avalon U5 but just found it to bulky fo rgigs. I did love it though.

Get a 1X12 and loose the big cabs. It doesn't sound like you need a big cab at the moment, and you may find that once you go to a smaller one you won't miss a big cab.

16. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I think the Sadowsky is more of a secondary concern, if it's really a concern at all. It's really more of a GAS issue. I've got my Bongo and a Fender on the way. I've just got to be patient.

17. jsbach1982

jsbach1982

Feb 11, 2005
    Denton, TX
    :eek:

What college are you going to?!!

18. Stumpy6653

Stumpy6653

Sep 12, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    Get the Eden CXC-110. It is small. Rocks. Holds its own with larger stuff. you can add the 12" 'sub' and it will shake the walls. I have heard it.

Careful in the dorm room though. If it isn't bolted down, or too heavy to steal, it will be gone.

19. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Most likely I'll be attending North Central University in Minneapolis, MN. They have a group called "One Accord" that travels for a good portion of the summer/fall. You have to audition for it; but I know what I've got to do for it, and it shouldn't be a problem.

Like I said though, it's not guaranteed by any means. Regardless of whether I do that or not, I will be doing a lot musically in college (music major...)

20. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    The more I think about this, the more I change my mind.

Since I won't need a big cab, I could just get a UL110. Period. Then add on a second 110, or a 112 as time progresses.

Then I'd have the option of buying another, bigger, cab later.