Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

why? why? why?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rexspangle, Sep 22, 2001.

1. Today I stopped by at a music store out of town and played with some of their bass stuff and was very confused and dissapointed on the most part.

I plugged in a swr bass 350 set the eq flat (yes I own a bass 350) into several different cabinets and combinations of cabinets and I was overall very unsatisfied with the sound.

First of all I used a sr 400 bass (I own a sr 800) through an eden 4x10 not ported and than an eden 210xlt.

I found it didn't kick as much as I had thought it would.

So I switched basses to a mexican fender, and me who is not a fender fan noticed a much better bass sound. :(

So after many combinations (oh yeah the mo` bass is kinda fun:))

I found adding a 15" as a second cab made a really nice difference. Alone I did not like the Son of Bertha but with a Goliath jr. it sounded pretty cool. and you get full power of the head. I must say one 8 ohm cab did not kick as much as I wanted.
    But in the music store I always find it hard to let lose and just play.

But I do have a question to when I tried the soundgear bass I could not even get the head to clip that is how week the signal was I guess??? but it wasn't distorting either so the battery wasn't week??

anyways havin access to actually trying a wide variety of speakers immediately one after another has really affected my decision for what new cab to buy.

And I would suggest if your local music stores dont carry a wide variety go places that do to get a feel for the sound cause I almost ordered a gol jr 8 ohm and I am soooo glad i didn't!! not that it sucks but playing that alone I would have gone crazy.

sorry for the length ahh... no I am not

:D

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    no doubt...i can't see why anyone would get an 8 ohm goliath jr when you could get a 4. unless you were planning on running two instead of a 4x10 plus something else...but that's silly.

i ran a bass 350 into a 4ohm g jr and triad for almost a year, until yesterday, when i got my 1000 watt poweramp :D

jason

3. yeah everything is bothering me now I noticed almost as must kick in a peavey tnt as the swr set-up i tried. It is only a bit under the same amount of power as a bass 350 with a single 8 ohm cab too. And if you look at any of my posts I despise Peavey.

What is happening? what do I like? :confused:

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You like a Lakland 55-94 played through an Eden WT-800 driving two D-410XLTs. I guarantee it.

5. lets hope so I am getting concerned