Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why won't Dean Markley talk to me?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Flatwound, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I've e-mailed Dean Markley (the string company, not the guy) a couple of times, and I get no response. I had a question about SR2000 strings this time, but if they don't want to talk to me, I can just look at the other stainless strings on the market. There's not exactly a shortage.

Why does a company post an email address for questions, and then ignore emails?

2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    How long has it been? I've waited a few days to hear from SWR, and over a week for EMG. What was the question? Maybe we can help.

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    They don't like you. THATS why......

No, maybe they are swamped from customers asking questions? I would doubt it, but it could happen. Do they have a phone number? that would be ten times better than email anyways,,,, well,,,,,sometimes.

4. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I had to send several emails to D'Addario, and GHS looking for info on long scale string for my 36" scale Fodera. And I still haven't heard a word from Elixer.

But I got a response right away from La Bella. I'm sure that if you wrote Ken Smith, Bill Conklin, Joe Zon, Mike Tobias or Roger Pedulla you'd get a response fairly quickly.

I think that the big boys in the string business don't want to waste their time on the end user.

I find it amazing that most retailers seem to know very little about the strings they sell. Other than what they specifically use, themselves. I guess they figure that they are cheap enough that you can just experiment on your own. But when you are looking at $40-60 a set for a 6 string pack it get a bit costly.

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    relax a bit, give them some time - there's a big crush around the namm shows where the guys over there are really busy.

6. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Hey Flat, PM a guy named JeffL here at TB. He's in the R&D for Markley. He could help you.

7. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    K, John, I'll give them some time (it's been a week), but I've gotten better responses from big outfits like GHS. I just think if they're not going to answer e-mails, then they should tell you so, like Lindy Fralin does.