1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

why won't rotosound strings fit on my bass?! >_<

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by divinity1509, Feb 13, 2016.

1. divinity1509

divinity1509

Nov 1, 2015
    Hi guys, so recently I broke a string on my bass (it was the D string) and I tried to replace it with a rotosound swing 66 string, but when I tried it the red silk stuff on the end of the string was always going past the nut (going onto the first fret.) Why is this? I thought the red silk was supposed to stay behind the nut, and not onto the fretboard :/ the bass I have is a Jackson JS3 5 string concert: JS3VQM Concert™ Bass | JS | Jackson® Basses if anybody could tell me what the issue is and maybe how I could get around it (should I buy different strings in future?) I would be very appreciative ^_^

2. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Long scale strings, I reckon. Did the package read "long scale" or "XL"? Get a shorter longer string (misread, whoops!!) and you shouldn't have this issue.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  3. Your instrument is a 35" scale so you need "extra" long strings.

Here are some companies that offer extra long scale strings as an option:
    DR strings
    D'Addario
    Fodera
    Sadowsky

Etc..

4. divinity1509

divinity1509

Nov 1, 2015
    Yeah the strings were long scale, are they not supposed to be? Cause I thought my bass was long scale but maybe not :p

5. divinity1509

divinity1509

Nov 1, 2015
    Are all D'addario strings extra long scale? Because I want to buy from my local music shop so that I don't have to wait for them to deliver but the shop has quite limited stock in terms of strings. Will these work do you think?: D'Addario EPS170-5 5-String ProSteels Bass Strings, Light, 45-130,

6. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Yeah, I misread the post. You need a longer string. If the silk is extending past the nut, that is.

7. Nah they won't work, those are long scale. You need "super long" from D'Addario.

Most music retail shops will not stock extra long strings so you should order from an online store

8. divinity1509

divinity1509

Nov 1, 2015
    Okay thank you for the help man, I appreciate it :) the shop does have one set of super long scale strings so I'm gonna go out and buy those today. Thanks again ^_^

9. Fretless370 likes this.
  10. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    You most likely need extra long scale strings. But that will depend on the manufacturer you go with as Michael_t just posted above.

Best to measure your instrument and then go from there.