why wont they fit

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bass_Boi, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Bass_Boi

Aug 12, 2003
    hi..i just got a 59J model bartolini for my 5 string and they arn't the size of my 5 string fender jazz bass...is there a way i can still put them in???
  2. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    You will have to have your bass routed for it to fit. Either a good luthier or a cabinet maker can do the job for you.
  3. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    The 59J's come in "short" and "long" sizes. You might've just got the wrong version. Check this out. Anyway, get a drop-in replacement!
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    you don't say whether it's one or both that won't fit. You also don't say whether the pups are too large for the routed slot or whether the slot is too large. So, I'll do what I can but more information would be helpful.

with 4 string jazz basses, the standards are pretty well set. Neck length of 3.61", Bridge length of 3.75"

Unfortunately, for 5 strings there's a few different 'standards'. Sadowsky and Warwick basses use two bridge length pickups (3.75").
    So you'd get a Bartolini 59J set with a long neck pickup (59JL).

If you're putting these in a Fender American Standard 5 string, those use use their own dimensions (neck 3.98", bridge 4.13"). Bartolini do a set for these basses, you'd need a 57J set.