1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why would a luthier feel that a 15 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, Oct 2, 2010.

1. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Bass(tripled 5 string) is a joke?

One would think that common sense should be able to show them the practicality in such a instrument.

I find it funny.

2. Mr wiggl3s

Mr wiggl3s Inactive

Feb 27, 2009
    Bismarck
    Have you tried to keep 15 strings in tune?

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Why not ask the luthier? He might have many reasons for thinking its a joke. Perhaps someone told him a great 15 string walks into a bar joke the night before?

A 15 string bass walks into a bar and the bartender says "man, you look really stressed". The bass says, "yeah, there's a lot of tension in my neck".

Just saying.

4. I think most have never done it and are a tad gun shy.

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

It's really no different than keeping any other bass in tune.

That's funny Mark :)

6. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    That is a good 15 string bass joke.

7. MD-BassPlayer

MD-BassPlayer Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I wouldn't want to do it as just about every part of the bass would be a one-off with little chance of follow up sales where you could recoup the R&D time and effort.

8. or a harp.....or piano....?

9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

What would be the purpose of such a bass ?

All you bassist out there.
    How many 8-string, or 10 string basses have you seen being played live at gigs.
    That would be a 4-string doubles, or a 5-string doubled.

What benefit, would three of each string give you?

10. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    i wouldn't do it because it'd be a complete b!tch to buy strings, and if something broke it'd be impossible to replace.
    but that's just the consumer's side of things...

11. Im pretty sure Tom Petersson would feel for you Jauqo

12. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    Because he's probably never heard about such an instrument before, let alone considered the concept. That's one reason.

13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

It's not always about follow up sales.

What if some one is wiling to pay the luthier for his/her services and have faith that the luthier can build such an instrument?

Maybe the luthier doesn't have faith in their own skills and don't wont to admit it.

14. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Tom Petersson all the time..., JPJ on Austin City Limits last week.

15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Well he and I did have a big joke about it once. And we both support each others vision.

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    It would give you the ability to play a bass like that. There really isn't any more justification needed than that IMO. There's really no effect that I've heard that sounds like three plucked strings.

BTW what does live have to do with anything? Nothing wrong with buying it and playing it at home, right?
    :D

I can easily understand someone wanting a specialized instrument. I can also easily understand a luthier not wanting any part of it. So if they haven't tackled an instrument like that and have no desire to, cool. If they do decide to do it, try to anticipate what's really involved in pulling it off and charge accordingly. That's what I would do if I were a luthier adventurous enough to try it. No point losing money on the experience.

17. kuys

kuys

Jun 29, 2010
    I don't have an aswer for why but I have noticed that bassists in general are very conservative and scared of anything non-four-string and non-root-pocket-playing.

I think it just comes down people being afraid of change in general or compeletely dismissive to the possibility of change.

YMWV

On a side note, I want a 12 string soo freaking bad. If anyone has a 12-string waterson used hit me up.

18. That may be. Given that it's hard to find ready made 12 string bridges, I think theres hesitation since most luthiers aren't used to making their own bridges from scratch. BTW, does anyone sell a 12 string bridge? Been thinking about getting a 12er some day, but custom shop.

On a side note, at least this isn't through Ernie Ball's custom shop since NONE of us are remotely worthy of a custo shop EBMM.

19. Jon_West

Jon_West

Jan 8, 2009
    GTA, Ontario
    Except a piano doesn't go out of tune (unless moved or left untuned for years) and a bass does.

I'd imagine the TEN other strings would make it slightly more time consuming.

20. ....what happens when you own a few 4 string basses? You don't spend all of your day tuning, right?