1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why would anyone care about what anyone else actually plays?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jd56hawk, Nov 30, 2018.

1. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Even if they’re playing one of these, at least they’re playing a bass and not some pseudo-bass emulator better suited for anime, video games or some tv sitcom.
    09460733-A297-4781-AF48-958-BAA456075.
    EDF22-E72-6-C4-B-4-F52-BCC2-38-D4-FCB58083.
    4526-BF44-76-FC-406-D-9-B7-E-A290439-D098-A.
    08-CD7-FE5-A794-44-C8-9683-28-E746-F08-FF0.

ituobrey, MakoMan, QweziRider and 6 others like this.
  2. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    All basses are created by God and, as such, are perfect. He loves all his children the same.

3. PHOTO_20171029_155244.

Gfkfloyd, caasi91, PillO and 5 others like this.
  4. I don't.

JRA, ituobrey, tfer and 2 others like this.
  5. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Wow, the second thread to invoke The Mothman in less than 24 hours.
    And here I though All Hollows Eve was safely past.

ituobrey, hrodbert696, MVE and 6 others like this.
  6. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Because many are self-centered and cannot fathom the concept that anyone can have an idea or preference that is not exactly like their own.
    426148_v1.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  7. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Woah! I would so rock one of these!

saabfender likes this.
  8. mikeoso

mikeoso Acoustic Curmudgeon

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
    Well, you got your people who need desperately to be told that they're doing the right thing. Then you got your people who need desperately to tell anyone who's doing it different that they're wrong. Then you got your people who have nothing to say but are desperate to be heard saying something. That adds up to a whole big bunch of pretty desperate people.

9. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Well, if you care what Chris Squire (or any other famous bass player) plays, 'cause you want to be just like him when you grow up? Then I'd say, the answer is pretty obvious...
    If you want to know what somebody plays, 'cause you're curious about the bass itself? That seems pretty obvious, too...
    However... if you care what I play? Or anybody else like me? And you aren't interested in what we think about the bass? Then.. see the quote above...:cool:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    BBassBassington and B-Mac like this.
  10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I don't care...I just like to point and mock.

Riis

11. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    This exactly sums up 95% of all social media.

12. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    e80.

ituobrey, tfer, Magthegrate and 4 others like this.
  13. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Banned SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Because I'm a gear head....I may suck at playing... but like cars, I love knowing what's under the hood. Basses with different designs and electronics and materials just really interest me.

cosmicevan and jd56hawk like this.
  14. OTOH, sometimes the stories defy belief.

player A: "I really want a fretless!"
    1 month later, "I ripped the frets out of my bass & now I can't seem to get my intonation right, EVERY note is off!"

player B: "I really want an ERB!"
    1 month later, "Anyone know any songs that are best played on an ERB?"

JRA, gebass6, SpazzTheBassist and 2 others like this.
  15. I care inasmuch as I'm curious and would like to know why some people like what they do about what they choose to play. In that way, I often discover things that I would never have otherwise considered. This is how I came to be a Warwick owner, whereas I had previously somewhat scoffed at them.

jamro217 likes this.
  16. My bass has one pickup and two knobs. It's wonderful in its simplicity. I can appreciate the fact that others like more knobs and more pickups than I do, but hey, if it boats your float, who am I to judge?

jamro217 likes this.
  17. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I’m interested in seeing what gear people use to achieve their sound, but as far as judging them... I’m only taking notes on what they sound like, not the brands or price tag of their rig.

Spidey2112 and jamro217 like this.
  18. Turbo Sparky

Turbo Sparky Supporting Member

May 14, 2018
    South Eastern U.S.
    No matter what you play, play your heart out, play your rig, and play it well.
    Porches and Ferraris have their places, but so does a Honda or Opal. Yet, they are all vehicles of transportation.
    ...but, I mean, c'mon who doesn't love an American late '50's - late '60's muscle car???
    Just rock it people.
    :)

B-Lo likes this.
  19. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Why would anyone care about what anyone else actually plays?

Lack of having anything better to do, which sums up most on-line responses in general.

comatosedragon, ajkula66 and chris_b like this.
  20. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Of course, when I say care, I don’t mean show interest in what someone plays, I mean why would someone attach importance to what someone else plays to the point of disdain.
    I like to see what others play but I’m not going to condemn someone for playing a BC Rich Mockingbird just because I prefer more traditional basses.

tfer likes this.