Why would ANYONE want this SWR???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lo-end, Aug 7, 2001.

1. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    ok, so please excuse my loud title. It was just for attracting your attention.

I am shopping for my second amp and am considering an SWR Super Redhead. I just noticed that you can get an Ampeg SVT3 and an Ampeg 8x10 for virtually the same price. Now the question is: Why would you want a small SWR combo when you can have a huge 8x10 and a 450 head with a tube preamp? The Ampeg system has more power, its bigger, and it gives you the flexibility of a head-and-cab system that a combo amp doesnt.

So why make the Super Redhead so expensive when you can get the Ampeg stuff instead? It doesnt make sense to me.
  2. LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    "So why make the Super Redhead so expensive when you can get the Ampeg stuff instead? It doesnt make sense to me."

Cuz you like SWR, and you like a compact amp.

Or cuz you like AMPEG, and like the gigantic 8x10's

having giged with both, I would say the real difference is size vs looks. The redhead can fit in your lap :) where as the 8x10 looks real neat-o on stage. An then of course AMPEG's and SWR's do not sound alike.
    my vote goes to SWR
    Its powerful enough for all clubs. In fact I recall the big bad voodoo daddies bassist was using one with a 4x10 under it. He played huge clubs with this set up. Granted he also had a line to the house mix.
  3. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    The SWR won't get you through your gig at Madison Square Garden, but it is the benchmark in accurate tone reproduction.
    Just go to NAMM and visit the booths of all the bass manufacturers, most of them have an Super Redhead around to try basses out on.
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Sure it would. You could play Madison Square Garden with any amp that is loud enough to be heard on stage. It is going to be miced/DIed to the PA anyway. It all depends on your tastes.

I'd take a 210 over an 810 anyday. I am too dang old to lug around a bunch of weight that I don't need. As soon as they come out with a 1 4" combo that sounds pretty good and makes enough volume to play with drums, I am buying it. I hope it fits in my bass case and runs on D cells.

5. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    hmm... ok, which one would give you a better pick tone? I mostly use a pick.
  6. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I can't say which would be BETTER, but most of the pick players I know go with Ampeg.
  7. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the super redhead is designed and marketed as more of a studio/reference amp. it sounds incredible, and you pay for it.

8. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    lol.. what I actually meant by "head and cab setups are more versatile" is you can mix and match different sizes and types of speakers and heads and not just stay with one combo. That is why is said versatile... I didnt mean the 8x10.
  9. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves

Jul 16, 2001
    chicago, il
    Well, I might be in the minority here, but I'm not overly impressed with the SWR sound. I find it a little sterile. I like Ampegs.

Why not the Ampeg head with a 4x10, or a 2x10 and a 1x15, or a 4x10 and a 1x15? I think the Big Daddy 8x10s are great sounding, but who in their right mind wants to lug one around? Two smaller cabs give you much more portability.
  10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Well, it's just personal taste. I'd happily play a Super Redhead, but you couldn't pay me to play that Ampeg you describe.
  11. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    :D :D :D
    Go for both of 'em... I use an SWR 4004 Workingman series on a Ampeg 410 cab.... When I want it so sound like an Ampeg, I use a bass pod with the svt model, when I want to sound like an SWR, i turn it off!
  12. ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Trust me, you DO NOT want to have to lug around an 8x10 cab. I have one and I would rather have a root canal than to have to move that thing around. It has a great sound, and lots of it, but when I get something new, I will not get another 8x10. You're better off with a good combo or a smaller cab that you can DI to the PA.

As for the SWR, I don't know. Never have played them. I started on Ampeg and I am resistant to change. Guess its old age creeping up on me.
  13. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I can tell you from experience (I owned one) that the 450 watts that Ampeg claims the SVT III Pro will generate into 4 ohms is stretching it mightily. A Super Redhead with a 4x10 extension cab will be just as loud. Tonally different, though, but IMO the hybrid SVT series doesn't yield the true "Ampeg Tone" anyway. Gotta have an all-tube SVT for that tone...anything else is a pale imitation.
  14. ASR:

If you're interested I'll toss a Carvin 4x10 in Excelent condition your way along with $100-150 for your 8x10. And I won't even make you get the root canal. :D

I figured I'd offer since I'm looking for an 8x10
  15. masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    Get an Ampeg combo or a Hartke Kickback 15. After lugging around an SVT for 20 years I saw the light...
  16. The 8x10 debate is only relevant to your own situations, IMO.

If you hate heavy gear (or can't lug it around anymore), 8x10's suck. 8x10's suck on small stages. 8x10's don't fit in many cars. An 8x10 will not fit on the back of a scooter. An afternoon cafe gig with an 8x10 might look a bit funny.

But if I play thru an 8x10 with some volume my balls grow. Far more than if I was just through a 4x10 or less. If I have to move large heavy gear around to get that sound, i'll do it in a heartbeat.

And there's a certain ego-wank about having the largest and loudest rig on stage...the audience will always notice any rig that stands about as tall as the player.
  17. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I've found a 6x10 to be a good compromise. I have a Goliath Sr. and it'll fit most anywhere an 8x10 won't, yet it's loud enough for most any gig. Easier to carry than a 4x10 because it has tilt-back casters.
  18. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    how about an ampeg B2 combo?? anyone use those? how do they sound and are they loud enough for loud band practices and small gigs?

Im thinkin of gettin one of those now, especially since I can afford one very easily.
  19. I've until recently been playing through a B2R (head version of the B2) with both 15" cabs and 410's...it's pretty damn loud (esp. if you milk the *supposed* 350w @ 4ohms) but I found I had to run it at full-tit (with the limiter off) to keep up in some situations. Paired with an 810 it was sweet. Bloody lightweight too, and was built like a tank.

The only problem with it? Doesn't have tubes! :D