1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why would changing strings affect setup

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by droopman, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Just changed the string on two bass and the action when from sweet to high. I have reset the necks and lower the action and just can't them to play sweet again. Necks look straight too. I put DR High Beams on. One bass is an old Ibanez SDGR the other an older Charvel by Jackson. Both basses have thin necks.

2. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Were High Beams on them to begin with?

=wr=

3. Even strings of the same guage made by different manufactures or of different types, round versus flat, steel versus nickle for example, apply different amounts of tension to the neck. This would likely account for what you're seeing and why changing stings can affect the setup.

I use High Beams on a number of my basses, I love those strings by the way.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Different strings/gauges/etc. can affect setup. That's normal. If you have the neck straight (no relief) and drop the saddles it should be able to play as low as it did before unless you're having another issue. At that point maybe you need to try a lighter gauge set.

5. THE DANiMAL

THE DANiMAL

Nov 22, 2007
    Bartlett, IL
    when you say you "reset the necks" do you mean you took them off and put them back on? if so, that's probably the issue, there were probably shims under the necks that got moved around.

6. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    Did you go heavier gauge strings? if so, they may require a truss-rod adjustment to accomodate heavier strings.

Also, going to a heavier gauge string may prevent the string from properly seating in the nut. The strings might be floating on top of the grooves instead of being seated in them.

without pics and more info, its kinda hard to really see what the issue is with your bass(es).

7. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011

Actually, there should be some relief for
    best results.

Think about it, a string does not maintain
    strait lines from point to point while being
    vibrated. It is in an arc, like a jump rope
    or any string, wire or rope being held at
    each end.

A little relief is always a good thing,

Tabdog